"Sweetberry's Goondiwindi Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Goondiwindi by Sweetberry1
Goondiwindi Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 69 photos
Goondiwindi is located 370 kilometers west of Brisbane, and is the border town between Queensland and New South Wales.
Settled in the 1840's by pastoralists, Goondiwindi emerged in the latter half of the 19th century as an important administrative and commercial centre.
Goondiwindi is named after the Aboriginal name for "Resting Place of the Birds". The town's major rural products include wheat, cotton, beef and wool. Cotton being the biggest of these, I would imagine.
Goondiwindi is situated on the McIntyre River... and on the junction of five major inland highways. The Barwon, Newell, Cunningham, Leichardt and Bruxner...
The Newell Highway, being the major route from Queensland to Victoria... and the Highway that I have travelled more times than I can remember. A drive of just over 2000 kilometers.
Approxiamtly 5,000 people reside in the town with a further 6,000 in the surrounding Waggamba Shire.
By the way, Goondiwindi is affectionately known as 'Gundy'... and is pronounced as Gundiwindi...
- Pros:A wonderful stop, when travelling long ditances...
- Cons:This place is way out, in the middle of the Outback...
- In a nutshell:Great as a stopover on the long runs..
For local information, visit the... Goondiwindi-Waggamba Tourist & Community Information Centre... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Goondiwindi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE GOONDIWINDI GREY"
- "Sweetberry's Goondiwindi Page"
- "Gundy in other words Goondiwindi"
- "GOONDAWINDI..BORDER TOWN..QUEENSLAND ..NSW.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goondiwindi
- Hotels in Goondiwindi
- Restaurants in Goondiwindi
- Shopping in Goondiwindi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goondiwindi
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Goondiwindi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goondiwindi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos