"Sweetberry's Lorne Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Lorne by Sweetberry1
Lorne Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 173 photos
Height Above Sea Level: 0
Highways: Great Ocean Road (100)
Nearest Capital City: Melbourne 200 km. east
Coach: daily service.
On the Erskine River, surrounded on three sides by forest ranges, and to the south by the spectacular Southern Ocean, it was the first place declared an area of 'special significance and natural beauty' by the Victorian Government.
On a bay named after Captain Louttit, who sought shelter there around 1840 while retrieving cargo from a ship-wreck, it was first settled by William Lindsay, a timber-cutter who began felling the area. Subdivision began in 1869 and the town was named after the Marquis of Lorne. Much of its colourful history is preserved in the gracious homes which remain.
- Pros:Away from the madding crowds...
- Cons:Can't think of any..
- In a nutshell:Nature at it's best...
Clearly signposted walking tracks allow you to explore these and other highlights of the forest. more travel advice
There is much to see along the Great Ocean Road.. Lorne is only a small part of this wonderful place. more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Lorne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "....And We're Off..... The beginning of the GOR!"
- "Sweetberry's Lorne Page"
- "Lorne - Along the Great Ocean Road"
- "Lorne - Somewhere on the Great Ocean Road"
- "Another Beachside Town on the Great Ocean Road"
- "Lorne, Great Ocean Road, Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lorne
- Hotels in Lorne
- Transportation in Lorne
- Restaurants in Lorne
- Shopping in Lorne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lorne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lorne
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Lorne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lorne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos