"Sweetberry's Moree Page" Moree by Sweetberry1
Moree Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 43 photos
General Thomas Mitchell explored the Moree region in 1832.. Prior to this time, it was the Kamilaroi people who lived on these lands for many years. Once word got out about this district, squatters came and took land in the area, and the township of Moree was born.
It all started in 1852, with one store, which was opened by James and Mary Brand.
In 1876, the first medical services became available to the district, when Dr. Tullock arrived. Towards the end of the century, Dr. Magill built the first private hospital in the town of Moree, and around 1900, he imported the first petrol driven car into NSW.. and quite possibly, Australia.
Moree is also famous for their artesian spa..and this has been well promoted as a place for relaxation and invigoration. The hot spa was originally dug as a bore for irrigation, in 1895. And to this day, still attracts visitors to the town.
Moree suffered a major setback, when in the summer of 1928, a large part of the business district was destroyed by fire. Many homes were lost as a result of this fire also. This gave the town the opportunity to rebuild, with a more modern look, and using bricks to rebuild with.
Today, Moree land has become the richest agricultural site in Australia.. the rich black soil produces an abundance of cotton, wheat, cerials, and olives.
Some noteable people buried at the Moree cemetary are.. Mary Brand, her daughter, Elizabeth Janet Williams, who was the first white child born in Moree.. and the son of author Charles Dickens, Edward Bulwer Lytton Dickens.
- Cons:Can get very hot in these parts...
- In a nutshell:A lovely place to visit for a while..
Moree has no shortage of wildlife, driving through these parts, there is always the chance of seeing many kangaroos and... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Moree Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artesian Spa Capital of Australia"
- "Rich town, poor town"
- "Sweetberry's Moree Page"
- "MOREE - HOME OF ARTESIAN SPAS"
- "Moree and it's Artesian Spas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moree
- Hotels in Moree
- Transportation in Moree
- Restaurants in Moree
- Shopping in Moree
- Warnings and Dangers in Moree
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moree
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Moree?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moree
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos