"Sweetberry's Newcastle Page" Newcastle by Sweetberry1
Newcastle Travel Guide: 346 reviews and 608 photos
Discovered in 1797, Newcastle is the site of the second European settlement in Australia.
Australia’s sixth largest city, Newcastle boasts some of Australia’s best beaches, all within 5 km of the city centre.
All the beaches are patrolled and offer a safe place to swim and relax.
The City is built around a large working harbour, the entrance to which is guarded by Nobbys Lighthouse and Breakwater.
The foreshore area is the perfect place to relax, while enjoying a drink or meal in one of the harbourside cafes, bars or restaurants.
Newcastle boasts a rich and varied cultural life with a wonderful selection of theatres, cinemas and concert venues offering a diverse range of experiences... and has also gained a solid reputation for the wealth of talent emanating from the city, such as teen band 'Silverchair'
This was constructed during the Crimean War to protect the city from invasion. In 1942, at the height of World War II, the fort returned fire at a Japanese submarine, the only fort in Australia to have engaged the enemy in a maritime attack.
Population... 138,000 (2001)
The districts of Mayfield and Lambton accommodate nearly a third of Newcastle’s population.
- Pros:Beautiful... City and surrounding area. Lots to see and do...
- In a nutshell:Good wine, good food, lovely place and people...
The Hunter Region Botanic Gardens cover an area of 140 hectares, much of which has been preserved as natural... more travel advice
Great place for a bit of Socializing, Eating, Drinking, and enjoying a night out. Neat Casual more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Newcastle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The 21st century, puts the "new" back in Newcastle"
- "Beach Days, Harbour Sights, City Nights"
- "WHY AM I DOING HERE ????"
- "Was Once A Steel City"
- "Sweetberry's Newcastle Page"
- "NEWCASTLE - DISCOVERED IN 1797"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle
- Hotels in Newcastle
- Transportation in Newcastle
- Nightlife in Newcastle
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Shopping in Newcastle
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Newcastle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Latest Newcastle hotel reviews
- Crowne Plaza Newcastle
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Newcastle
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Quality Hotel Noah's On The Beach
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Madison Motor Inn Newcastle
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Travelodge Newcastle
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Newcastle Backpackers
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Jesmond Executive Villas
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Comfort Inn Hospitality
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Motto Farm Motel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- Broadmeadow Motel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2012
- Nomads Backpackers by the Beach
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013