"Sweetberry's Singleton Page" Singleton by Sweetberry1

Singleton Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 20 photos

Singleton

In 1820 John Howe led an expedition to the fertile valley of St Patrick's Plains. Many settlers followed and began raising stock on their grants of land. Within a generation the pastoral district was flourishing and traders also came to establish their livelihood.
A township grew on the banks of the Hunter River, taking its name from one of the original discovering party, Benjamin Singleton.

For the first one hundred years of its history the agricultural industry dominated the region. However, the discovery of vast resources of coal in the area has transformed Singleton into the State's largest producer of coal, giving the Shire a twofold industrial profile.

Singleton has evolved from a quiet country town to one of the most progressive commercial centres in the State, continuing to experience further mining developments, and is diversifying into other industries.

Population... 21,500

Beef Cattle
Dairy
Wine Production
Tourism

Located 200kl northwest of Sydney.
And 80kl. west of Newcastle..

• In a nutshell:Lovely place for a 'Country Visit'
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2003

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 9:06 AM

Wine and countryside and first of all - your first school - lovely page! I must go to take a picture of my first school in Krakow, Poland :-)

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2003 at 7:54 PM

I can see you bring with you good memories about Singleton! It's fantastic to go back in time. Well done Susie! :)

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2003 at 4:25 AM

I love to go back to memory lane as well. I did go to my first school after 15 years and really enjoyed it.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2003 at 5:50 PM

What a wonderful trip to the past! Very nice page!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2003 at 11:11 PM

Every body loves the wine ,off course ,so do I , take me on a wine tour anytime you got great pictures and good info Susie.Great page ,thanks

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2003 at 9:40 AM

Love those Aussie wines . . .

• misakitaguchi's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 9:57 PM

I haven't heard this city name but looks nice . I'm sure I can relax here.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 7:07 PM

I simply MUST visit. THANKS!

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2003 at 7:57 AM

perfect page Susie! photos AND info...I prefer walking to not miss a thing but for the wine route: a LIMO please....thanks, bespelisabeth

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2003 at 2:02 AM

A very well done page Susie. I enjoyed - photos are really great and writing so interesting. Txs

Sweetberry1

“"Experience.. Is the best teacher"”

Badges & Stats in Singleton

Have you been to Singleton?

Latest Activity in Singleton