"Sweetberry's Sorrento Page." Sorrento by Sweetberry1
Sorrento Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 38 photos
Victoria's first settlement was in 1803, in Sorrento. 30 years before the founding of Melbourne.
It was here in Sorrento that Victoria's first European settlement was established.
The settlement was short lived due to the lack of fresh water.
Sullivans Bay was the site of the first courthouse, first public hospital, first postal service, and the first government printing office.
The first wedding, christening and funeral service were also held at Sullivan's Bay as it was the home of a camp of soldiers and convicts.
In 1835, the Tasmanian founders of Victoria bought their flocks across Bass Strait in search of new pastures, when they were greeted by a 'wild white man' William Buckley... convict and escapee from the original Sullivans Bay
Buckley had been living with Aboriginal friends and families in the western area of Port Phillip.
Sorrento's rise to fame as a seaside escape for Melbourne's rich and famous came about in the 1870's.
- Pros:Beautiful seaside town, great place for a bit of R & R..
- Cons:Can be expensive...
- In a nutshell:Great place to visit.. and spoil yourself a bit..
Morgans bar is located right by the beach, so if you feel like some refreshments, while enjoying a beach day, you don't... more travel advice
Well... not quite setting yet, but close enough to try for a photo.. The sun setting slowly on the horizon was a magical... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Sorrento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Sorrento Page."
- "Sorrento, by sea by land."
- "One of the neatest places along the bay"
- "Seaside jewel two hours from Melbourne"
- "A new friend....:)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sorrento
- Transportation in Sorrento
- Nightlife in Sorrento
- Restaurants in Sorrento
- See All...
Explore the World
- Shirlington Hotels
- Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Fremantle Hotels
- Montego Bay
- Chennai (Madras)
- Burpengary Hotels
- Bad Schandau
- State of Madhya Pradesh Hotels
- McLeod Ganj
- Dunns River Falls and Beach Hotels
- Stuttgart Hotels
- Sankt Goar
Badges & Stats in Sorrento
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Sorrento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sorrento
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos