"Sweetberry's Tocumwal Page" Tocumwal by Sweetberry1
Tocumwal Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 33 photos
Tocumwal is located on the NSW side of the Victorian/NSW border, and is close to the Victorian town of Cobram. It is also part of the Berrigan Shire.
Like many other communities along the Murray River, the two towns straddle the river and the border. Tocumwal has a long history in rural industry in the southern Riverina.
The first people here, were the Waradjuri, who lived in the region for more than 40,000 years. The town, which took its name from an Aboriginal word 'Tocumival', meaning 'deep hole' was gazetted as a village in 1862.
The bridge across the Murray River, opened in 1895... this helped consolidate the towns importance, linking it to an easy crossing place.
During the Second World War, Tocumwal's population grew, as American airforce personel based in the town. The RAAF training base was the home of Liberator Bombers, ready to play a part in the defence of Australia. At this time,Tocumwal was home to thousands of American airmen.
In the second half of the 20th century Tocumwal became the centre of the rice-growing industry.
Today, it is the largest producer of rice and rice products in Australia.
Tocumwal is also the town where the Newel Highway begins it's long stretch through NSW. It is a very popular Highway with travellers heading to the interior of NSW, and also those travelling between Victoria and Queensland.
But it is also the preferred route for most heavy vehicles, like semis, and road trains. Although this can be quite heavy at times, it is a good highway, and still my preferred route.
- Pros:Lovely country town to stop at en route.
- Cons:Certain times of year, the flies can be a pest..
- In a nutshell:Nice place to relax, and enjoy The Murray.
Overlooking the Murray River, and the lovely park and childrens playgrounds, you have this wonderful bakery.. that has... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Tocumwal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Tocumwal Page"
- "PRETTY TOWN BESIDE THE RIVER MURRAY"
- "Tocumwal, More sunny days then Queensland"
- "Tocumwal, the largest air base during WWII."
- "TOCUMWAL....S.W. NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tocumwal
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Tocumwal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tocumwal
Photos in TocumwalSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos