"Sweetberry's Townsville Page." Top 5 Page for this destination Townsville by Sweetberry1
Townsville Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 149 photos
Townsville is situated on the North Queensland coast of Australia and is the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. It is also just a short boat ride away from Magnetic Island, one of the most popular Islands on the Great Barrier Reef.
Townsville might not be as busy, or the tourist centre that Cairns (400km north) or Airlie Beach (400km south), but is very popular with tourists looking for a true Australian town. What you will find here, is an Island with fantastic beaches, good diving on the reef and the best wreck dive around, the Yongala, one of the best dive sites in the world . With a drier climate than the people up north experience, Townsville is a thriving commercial city with many mining companies based here. The road from the coast to Ayers Rock starts here.
The Townsville Strand foreshore development officially opened in October 1999, redefining Townsville's appeal as a tropical resort city.
The opening weekend attracted over 80,000 residents and visitors to the city to view the results of the multi million dollar development which is the largest beach and headland creation project of its kind ever developed in Australia.
The development evolved due to destructive monsoonal storms in 1997 and 1998. These storms caused significant damage and compromised the integrity of the rock wall. The Townsville City Council decided to redevelop "The Strand" by developing the beaches as a means of foreshore protection.
The project involved the construction of three headlands, which feature recreational facilities, restaurants and headquarters for lifesavers. The headlands were devised for a dual role. Apart from their public amenities facility, the headlands protect the new seawall and beach. They are in areas that have been most vulnerable to cyclone damage.
Townsvill also has a large Military presence. There is an Army Base in this city, and you often see large helicopters, and fighter jets flying over the city. There is also a Military Museum, at the far end of the Strand, but I didn't visit.
- Pros:Lovely weather, beaches and people.
- In a nutshell:I was impressed with this city. Got lots going for it.
I enjoyed walking around this city, you see so much more that way. A great way to get to know a place better. more travel advice
A leisurely walk along The Strand in Townsville, is a wonderful way to see a good part of the foreshore. There are many... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Townsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Townsville, Queensland - The Best"
- "Terrific Townsville"
- "Townsville...Home of the Cowboys"
- "Townsville - Along the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Sweetberry's Townsville Page."
- "Townsville Page"
- "soooooooo slllooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Townsville
- Hotels in Townsville
- Transportation in Townsville
- Nightlife in Townsville
- Restaurants in Townsville
- Shopping in Townsville
- Warnings and Dangers in Townsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Townsville
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Townsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Townsville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos