"windoweb's new Wellsboro Page" Wellsboro by windoweb
Wellsboro Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 44 photos
Home to Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon
Pennsylvania Grand Canyon
Situated in approximately 160,000 acres of the Tioga State Forest lies the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. The Canyon begins south of Ansonia along US Route 6 and continues for approximately 47 miles. The maximum depth of the canyon is 1,450 feet at Waterville, near the southern end. At Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks, the depth is more than 800 feet and from rim to rim is approximately 4,000 feet. These overlooks offer the most spectacular views.
The exposed rock formations are over 350 million years old, but the important geologic processes which formed the gorge occurred less than 20,000 years ago during the Pleistocene time. Before glacial activity took place, the headwaters of Pine Creek, near Ansonia, flowed in a northeasterly direction. Glaciers then covered the area with ice. As the glacier began to melt it left a dam of gravel, sand and clay which blocked the flow of Pine Creek. This natural dam forced Pine Creek to reverse its flow to the south, forming what is now the canyon. This area received national acclaim in 1968 when a 12 mile section of Pine Creek Gorge was designated as a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service.
windoweb's Related Pages
Wellsboro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon"
- "My Hometown"
- "Gateway to the Canyon"
- "WELLSBORO - GATEWAY TO THE GRAND CANYON"
- "cword's new Wellsboro Page"
- "windoweb's new Wellsboro Page"
- "Wellsboro, home of PA's Grand Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wellsboro
- Nightlife in Wellsboro
- Restaurants in Wellsboro
- Warnings and Dangers in Wellsboro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wellsboro
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Wellsboro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wellsboro
Photos in WellsboroSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Punta Cana Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos
- Toronto Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Nassau Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José del Cabo Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Cape May Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Erie Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos