"2011 Valentine's Day Cruise Stop" Colón by windoweb
Colón Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 43 photos
Gatun Locks: The biggest locks in the Panama Canal are impressive and give great insight into the workings of this fabulous piece of engineering.
Due to the fact that all three chambers are connecting, we had the opportunity to see the entire process completed at one location, rather than in two different stages such as case with Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks. It takes approximately 2 hours for a vessel to complete the transit at Gatun Locks, regardless of whether it's heading northbound or southbound.
We watched a ship going to the Atlantic Ocean from the Pacific Ocean.
There are three sets of locks in the Panama Canal. On the Pacific entrance are Miraflores, with two chambers, and Pedro Miquel with one chamber. On the Atlantic is one set of locks with 3 chambers, the Gatun Locks. Ships are raised a total of 87 feet above sea level into Gatun Lake and then lowered at the end of their transit into the other ocean. A common misconception is that one ocean is higher that the other, but they are both at sea level.
Panama receives as much as 200 inches of rain per year. This was a determining factor in placing the canal there since 52 million gallons of fresh water is lost to the ocean on each transit.
As the capital of Colón Province on Panama's central Caribbean coast, Colón lies at the very heart of the country's rich history and innovation.
This important port town is less than an hour's drive from Panama's most historical attractions, so it's easy to fit in visits to sites like the Panama Gatun Locks.
- In a nutshell:Panama Canal - what a sight to see!
windoweb's Related Pages
Colón Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "COLON - ATLANTIC ENTRY"
- "Colon, Panama"
- "Not the A-hole of the planet as is often referred"
- "Caribbean Port"
- "Visitng Cetral and Latin America"
- "2011 Valentine's Day Cruise Stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colón
- Hotels in Colón
- Transportation in Colón
- Shopping in Colón
- See All...
Explore the World
- Culiat Hotels
- Torres Vedras
- French Guiana
- Balearic Islands
- Negeri Sembilan
- Province of Nova Scotia
- Pepin Island Hotels
- Taconic State Park Hotels
- Otok Kolocep
- Shüttdorf Hotels
- Ågelsjön Hotels
- Westoning Hotels
- Houghton Lake
- Michigan City
Badges & Stats in Colón
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Colón?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colón
Top 10 Pages
- Punta Cana Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos
- Toronto Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Nassau Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José del Cabo Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Cape May Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Erie Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Colón hotel reviews
- Melia Panama Canal
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013