"BIGGEST BIRD IN THE WORLD" Oudtshoorn by Bert_Pearson
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 234 photos
I traveled through George into Karoo little desert, a region of arid and semi dry landscapes best known as the hub of the ostrich industry.
Here are grown many fruits such as apricots and peaches, as well as sweet grapes used in the making of South African sherry wine.
the main industry of this area, however, is ostrich farming. 120 000 of the world's 150 00 ostriches are in Little Karoo.
Oudsthoorn is spread along both banks of the Brobbelaars River, and the Elephant's river. It is a very fertile valley. It is an ideal place for the breeding of the world's biggest bird.
Visiting that farm was a remarkable and unforgetful experience.
Close to the farm, there is a local art and crafts and Ostrich products. Great souvenir shop. It is incredible what they can do with eggs and feathers.
They sell the feathers to great International shows like Lido, le Moulin Rouge, The Samba dancing schools in Brazil - 50 bucks a piece.
An Ostrich egg has a very strong shell. I was chosen to break the egg for the party. I had to dress like a cook . It took me so long to cut all around the egg to finally pry it open with my thumbs.
The chick will take two years to grow into a 100kgs Ostrich.
We were served Ostrich egg omelet. I did not like it very much though. The egg could contain close to 2 dozen of hen eggs.
But the thin slices of Ostrich steak was a real delight.
This farm is breeding thousands of Ostriches. Entering a breeding camp was very exciting. My friend and I step on a nest of Ostrich eggs and put all the weight we could and could not break them.
I could drive an Ostrich for a little while. Got scared but did not fall.
They put a little bag on its head so that we will have time to jump on them. Then they remove it and there we go at full speed.
We assisted to an Ostrich race too.
That was very amusing.
- In a nutshell:A magnificent site to see and ponder.
Not far from the Ostrich farm we can fill our eys with splendors: The Cango Caves. The Cango Caves, one of the world's... more travel advice
Bert_Pearson's Related Pages
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oudtshoorn - the ostrich capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital of the World"
- "Oudtshoorn is more then ostriches."
- "The Cango Caves"
- "Ostriches, camels and caves!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oudtshoorn
- Hotels in Oudtshoorn
- Transportation in Oudtshoorn
- Nightlife in Oudtshoorn
- Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
- Shopping in Oudtshoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Oudtshoorn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oudtshoorn
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Oudtshoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oudtshoorn
Top 10 Pages
- Canada Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Recife Intro, 2 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santiago Atitlán Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Itacuruçá Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vitória Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional da Amazônia Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gravatá Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guatemala Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Oudtshoorn hotel reviews
- Protea Hotel Riempie Estate
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Oudtshoorn Hotel And Resort
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- De Oude Meul Country Lodge
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 21, 2013
- Kleinplaas Holiday Resort
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- The Barons Palace
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2011
- Queens Hotel
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Adley House
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Backpackers Paradise & Joyrides
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013