"High Springs - A cave diver's mecca." High Springs by dracko

High Springs Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 21 photos

High Springs, Florida and and its surrounding are known among scuba divers as Cave Country. The reason is simple - there are quite a few divable cave systems that are within easy reach of High Springs, which is pretty much the center of civilization for many miles in any direction. Get outside it, and the sounds of banjo playing start echoing in your head.

So when I decided to take a Cavern diving class, High Springs was the place to be. I flew into Jacksonville on a Friday night, and then drove some 100+ miles to High Springs, where my instructor for the class met me the next morning. We spent the Saturday studying and diving, and after sleeping in and then exploring the area for a bit, I flew back home on Sunday evening.

There really isn't that much to High Springs. It's a small town, but it certainly serves its purpose as the gateway to the caves. And it's got all the essentials - lodging, food, at least one dive shop, and even a gas station.

• Last visit to High Springs: May 2004
  • Intro Written Jun 3, 2004

dracko

“Enjoy life while you can. Because it`ll be too late, too soon!”

Badges & Stats in High Springs

Have you been to High Springs?

Latest Activity in High Springs