Assen Things to Do Tips by Jaco_Emmen
Assen Things to Do: 57 reviews and 70 photos
It is somehow a small house, just a few windows in it, if you compare it with the houses we are used to nowadays you would run away quickly, as all seems to be smaller in size, more or less 36 square meters, that is all, maybe even less, the cows, wood, stove, kitchenware, bedroom, walls, two small wooden chairs, some oil-lamps, it is all the inventory of a house that would be situated along one of the long channels in Drenthe, a province in the Nort-East of the Netherlands, this is the place the 'peet' was dug up, dried under the sun and wind, then placed on barges and transported to Amsterdam to heat the houses in the city. Visiting Ellert & Brammert in Schoonoord gives you a clear idea what it must have been to live in that time, some 70 years ago.
Address: Tramstraat, 7848 BJ Schoonoord, the Netherlands
Directions: Living, Sightseeing, Original, Peet Districs, Awareness
Openluchtmuseum Ellert en Brammert
Tramstraat 73, 7848 BJ Schoonoord, Netherlands
Phone: +31 (0)591 382 746
The farmers not long ago were always much more comfortable then the city folks! As they lived with the animals, also at night, the house would be much warmer then in the city! Although cooking inside wasn't so much fun, most of the houses would use a small stove, fired with peet, dug and dried locally!
In the butterfly garden, you see how intimate is the relationship between flowers and butterflies. Butterflies in the flashiest colours flit from flower to flower - more than 1500 butterflies of 40 species. And many of them were bred in Emmen Zoo. Also zooming their way through the butterfly garden are hummingbirds- the smallest birds in the world. Not only are they crazy about nectar but spiders as well. Thanks to their efforts, the butterflies never get caught in spider webs.
Other Contact: Zoo Emmen Hoodstraat 18 7801 BA
Best place to feel what life was like about 100 years ago in the Northern part of the Netherlands when peet was used to heat our houses.
Directions: Schoonoord, near the road Emmen - Drachten
From Amsterdam travel to Amersfoort, Zwolle, Hoogeveen and take the bus from Hoogeveen to Schoonoord or by car from Hoogeveen to Assen on the A28 and at a p
Other Contact: Telephone +31 (0)591-382421 Open
More Reviews (9)
- See All Near Emmen you will find this...
- Best way is by train from...
- Rib-House CROSS-ROAD
Jaco_Emmen's Related Pages
Assen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Assen, my hometown"
- "Assen: capital of the province of Drenthe"
- "sandravdp's Assen & Emmen Page"
- "Assen - capital of the province of Drenthe"
- "province of Drenthe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assen
- Hotels in Assen
- Transportation in Assen
- Nightlife in Assen
- Restaurants in Assen
- Shopping in Assen
- Warnings and Dangers in Assen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tangalla Hotels
- Distrito de Évora Hotels
- South Hampton Hotels
- Deerfield Beach
- Lanai Hotels
Badges & Stats in Assen
- 15 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 69 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Assen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assen
Photos in AssenSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Zaandijk Intro, 1 review, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Assen Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos, 7 travelogues
- Arnhem Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 6 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 1 review, 43 photos, 6 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Apeldoorn Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Switzerland Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zaandam Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues