"100th Meridian City" Cozad by sambarnett
Cozad Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 61 photos
I didn't do any sightseeing here. After a blizzard shut down I-80 I ended up in Cozad and felt pretty lucky to find a vacant hotel room at a reasonable rate (the nice girl at reception gave me the senior citizen discount, I was only 23 at the time!)
So as eternal thanks to Cozad for providing me a warm place to bunk down in the midst of some terrible weather I thought I'd mention a bit about the town here, along with a promise that I'll stop by and visit again sometime.
Cozad was founded by John Cozad in 1873. While traveling west on the Union Pacific Railroad he noticed the 100th Meridian sign. Thinking this would be a good place to start a community, Cozad bought 40,000 acres from the Union Pacific Company. His son Robert became an artist of some reknown under the name Robert Henri. The town features a museum of his works and an original station of the famed Pony Express.
Cozad is also located along the historic Lincoln Highway, the first transcontental US highway (which, incidentally, passes through my neck of the woods, Northwest Indiana) Here's the entry from the 1924 guide to the Lincoln Highway:
Pop. 2,000 Alt. 2,496 feet. Dawson County. Two hotels, 2 garages. Local speed limit 12 miles per hour, enforced. Three banks, U.P. Railroad, 30 general business places, express company, telephone company, 1 newspaper, Commerical Club. Free camp grounds.
L.H. (Lincoln Highway) Local Consul, C.H. Sheet, M.D.
Cozad is named after the founder, a Cincinnati capitalist. Pumping station Sinclair Pipe Line from Wyoming field.
Largest shipping point for alfalfa in world.
Large sugar beet producing territory.
Thanks again Cozad, see ya one day!
sambarnett's Related Pages
Cozad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "First Home of Impressionist Painter Robert Henri"
- "COZAD, NEBRASKA"
- "100th Meridian City"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cozad
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Cozad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cozad
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues