"sambarnett's new Richmond Page" Richmond by sambarnett
Richmond Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 85 photos
Believe it or not, the sign is true. Though most would point to New Orleans or New York City, it was here in this medium sized, east-central Indiana city that this great musical artform was first captured on shellac. The New Orleans Rhythm Kings (pictured on this downtown mural), Jelly Roll Morton, Bix Beiderbecke, Hoagy Carmichael and the King Oliver Creole Jazz Band, featuring a young Louis Armstrong all recorded for locally based Gennett Records.<P>
A museum chronicling Gennett Records, its predessor the Starr Piano Company and Richmond's role in jazz history is in the works. Until, visit this link: <A HREF="http://www.waynet.org/nonprofit/gennett.htm">http://www.waynet.org/nonprofit/gennett.htm</A> to read a very interesting write up of Richmond's rich musical history.
sambarnett's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic "Gem" in East-Central Indiana"
- "Richmond, Indiana: Nice town, nice college"
- "sambarnett's new Richmond Page"
- "Richmond, Indiana..home residence"
- "Richmond Trip a Blowout"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 1 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues