"Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore" Porter by sambarnett
Porter Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 82 photos
As there is no listing for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore here on VT, I am using this Porter site as the "homepage" for that wonderful area of Northwest Indiana. The park's headquarters are located on the northern side of this small community named after David Porter, a War of 1812 Naval hero.
Porter made local news a few years back when the town declared bankruptcy. There is a very small "downtown" area, one street with a few brick commercial buildings. Most of the community is residental or natural duneland.
If you click "Author's Order" on the tips they will be laid out roughly from west to east.
Must See Activities: Here I will submit to popular proclivities and list what most people come to the Dunes for: the beaches.
Off The Beaten Path: Beaches are only a very small part of the Dunes. For nature lovers the backdune country areas are heaven; stunning in biodiversity and good for the senses and nerves. Included here are natural landmarks, wildlife viewing areas and examples of early settlement in the area.
Sports Travel: Hiking, biking and horse trail information.
Since many people fail to heed the ice shelf warning I'll mention it again, this time with graphic photographic... more travel advice
The view from the Inland Marsh Overlook is quite nice and a great place to take a quick picture, but sadly it has become... more travel advice
- See All Busy beaches
- See All Other beaches in & around the National...
- See All Cowles Bog Trail
sambarnett's Related Pages
Porter Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Porter
- Transportation in Porter
- Restaurants in Porter
- Warnings and Dangers in Porter
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porter
- 43 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Porter?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porter
Photos in PorterSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues