"The Dunes" Indiana Dunes State Park by sambarnett
Indiana Dunes State Park Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 85 photos
Located at the heart of Indiana's Lake Michigan shoreline, the Indiana Dunes State Park, features over 2000 acres of black oak forest, wetlands and sand dunes. Its establishment in 1925 represented an initial, if limited, victory for preservations over the industrialists, who sought to have mills and factories on the entire lakefront.
Inside the park is a 1530 acre nature preserve, protecting a landscape where Dr. Henry Cowles did his landmark studies in the early twentieth century. These studies on succession led to the birth of the science of ecology.
More than 16 miles of trails wind their way through the park, making this the place for some of the best hiking in Northern Indiana. Most people never venture far on the trails, so even when the beach is at its busiest it is still possible to commune with nature without feeling crowded.
Please look under the "must see activities" link for a complete listing of the trails.
The Indiana Dunes State Park is the center of Indiana's lake Michigan shoreline. Many other parks surround it.
For more information on the Indiana Dunes and shoreline, visit some of my other pages here on VT (coming soon... I do work for a living.):
From west to east:
Whiting - Whihala Beach
Griffith - Hoosier Prairie*
Gary - Miller, Marquette Park
Portage - West Beach*, Inland Marsh*
Porter - Cowles Bog*, Bailly-Chellberg farm*, Porter Beach*
Beverly Shores - Kemil Beach*, Lakeview Beach*, Central Beach*
Michigan City - Mount Baldy*, Washington Park
* denotes parts of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, managed by the National Park System (NPS)
Don't litter on my Dunes. And if I catch you drinking beer at the beach you better give me one. more travel advice
Be sure to stop at the park office for a system map. Trail 2 - An easy 3 mile trail that also is used for cross-country... more travel advice
Written Aug 17, 2003
Trail 8: Mountains of the Midwest
Written Mar 5, 2003
The Dunes for all Seasons
sambarnett's Related Pages
Indiana Dunes State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Do the Dunes"
- "Primitive, Beauitful and Unique Hoosier Landscape!"
- "The Dunes"
- "Indiana Dunes"
- "Indiana's Dunes"
- "Yellow Sand and Azure Blue Lake"
- "There's a lot of sand here..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indiana Dunes State Park
- Hotels in Indiana Dunes State Park
- Restaurants in Indiana Dunes State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Indiana Dunes State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Indiana Dunes State Park
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Indiana Dunes State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indiana Dunes State Park
Photos in Indiana Dunes State ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues