Gary Local Custom Tips by sambarnett Top 5 Page for this destination
Gary Local Customs: 5 reviews and 5 photos
G.I. - Gary, Indiana, as in "Live and Die, G.I." or "Shop and Buy, G.I." The latter you'll see on store marquees.
"Where you do stay?" really means "where do you live?"
If you want your food to go, tell 'em to "put shoes on it."
700 block, looking west
A 1997 fire left gaping holes in Gary's already decrepit downtown, particularly on the east side of Broadway in the 600 and 700 blocks.
Like the "Occupied Look," facade coverings are meant to distract attention away from the fact that the building it covers is abandon and serving practically no purpose in its current state.
This giant billboard was added when Gary announced it was playing host to the Miss USA pagaent in 2001. It covers the empty Sherdan Hotel.
Palace Theatre, empty since 1972
No, those aren't real windows. Common in blighted areas, the "Occupied Look" is a strategy designed to pretty up an area thus making it, supposedly, more attractive to investors and retailers. You'll notice on the lower left that one of the cardboard windows is about ready to fall out.
More Reviews (35)
- See All Gary State Bank Building
- See All East Side Branch Library: The Future
- See All Gary South Shore Railcats
sambarnett's Related Pages
Gary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana...."
- "Kickin' it in tha city of Gary, Indiana!"
- "More Than a Musical Comedy Song"
- "City of contrasts"
- "Tough town"
- "tom0990's new Gary page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gary
- Transportation in Gary
- Restaurants in Gary
- Warnings and Dangers in Gary
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hagersville Hotels
- Rooihuiskraal Hotels
- Gallipolis Hotels
- Port Antonio
- Praia de Mira
- Vaduz Hotels
Badges & Stats in Gary
- 39 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Gary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gary
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues