Gary Warnings Or Dangers Tips by sambarnett Top 5 Page for this destination
Gary Warnings and Dangers: 14 reviews and 7 photos
The gasoline stations at the exits just off I-80/94 are safe enough to fill up at during the day, although you'll probably notice some hookers. If you need to fill up at night I'd recommend waiting until you reach Porter County, about 10 miles to the east.
This is a rough place. "Must See Activities" must be taken very lightly. If anything, I put these pictures here so you can see bits of the area without having to go through there.
Parts of the city are safer than others, so check out my warnings.
Pictured: A hang out for a local biker gang: The Sin City Disciples. Obviously spelling isn't a prerequisite.
Beach and steel mill
Should you find yourself in trouble while driving the Indiana Univeristy campus at 34th and Broadway is safe and secure.
Steelheads games are secure with a high but not overbearing or intimidating police presence. I'm sure it will be like that at the new baseball stadium.
Marquette Park and Miller (including the Miller Woods trail and Lake Street beach) are generally safe during the day. I'm sure you will notice a lot of broken bottles and graffiti though.
Pictured: The beach at Marquette Park with US Steel in the background.
Should you find yourself here, the Gary street system is pretty easy. Most of the city follows a grid pattern. The main street is Broadway (Route 53) which runs north-south and is intersected by numbered avenues. The higher the number the farther south you are heading. The Gary-Merrillville border is 53rd Avenue.
North-south streets west of Broadway are named after US Presidents, in the order they became president. North-south streets east of Broadway after US States and their admittance to the Union. Hope you paid attention in Social Studies. Note: A few neighborhoods don't follow this naming scheme.
More Reviews (35)
sambarnett's Related Pages
Gary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana...."
- "Kickin' it in tha city of Gary, Indiana!"
- "More Than a Musical Comedy Song"
- "City of contrasts"
- "Tough town"
- "tom0990's new Gary page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gary
- Transportation in Gary
- Restaurants in Gary
- Warnings and Dangers in Gary
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gilgit Hotels
- Ocean Shores Hotels
- Kuala Berang Hotels
- Bukit Padang Hotels
- Kololi Warnings and Dangers
- Armenia Warnings and Dangers
- Driving & traffic
- Marbella Warnings and Dangers
- Provincia de Guanacaste Warnings and Dangers
- Tanzania Warnings and Dangers
- Cocoa Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Asia Warnings and Dangers
- Katoeys (Ladyboys/Transvestites)
- Tilburg Warnings and Dangers
- Barranquilla Warnings and Dangers
- Sarasota Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Gary
- 39 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Gary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gary
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues