"G.I." Top 5 Page for this destination Gary by sambarnett

Gary Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 123 photos

All at once this photograph conveys a sense of nostalgia for what was, a (some would say unrealistic) hopefulness of what could be and a grim picture of what is. Even the fake window fronts, added just a few years ago, are falling off this decaying structure.

Why create a tourist-themed webpage for a city many consider to be the prime example of the worst place in the United States? Certainly not to emphasize the degradation, although there is enough of it and it should not be ignored. But in the midst of whatever is "the worst" or "bad", examples of humanity flower, often going unnoticed to the acts of violence and fear.
The past together with the present give the future its direction. You don't have to come to Gary, but it's a place worth knowing about.

"The city of Gary was conceived in the counting rooms and born in a jungle. It was nursed on faith and schooled in the fiery furnace of toil. It is peopled by men and women of every living tongue and creed... As steel goes, so goes the world, and Gary is its prophet."
- Mayor Thomas Knotts, 1910

"Don't push me cuz I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to lose my head.
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under."
- Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, 1982

"Just as in the past, Gary could be the engine that drives the growth of Northwest Indiana... The hope of this Region is the City of Gary. Everything that is done to tear Gary down is doing great harm to the whole Region. As goes Gary, so goes the rest of the Region."
- Mayor Richard Hatcher, 1987

• Pros:the jackson five
  • In a nutshell:Magic City of Steel, Murder Capital, City of the Century, G.I.
  • Intro Updated Feb 29, 2004

• Feb 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM

i have been a member of this organization for the last ten years,.all .motto,"when we do right-nobody remembers...when we do wrong,nobody forgets!!! quietstorm-president pgh.DECIPLES! DFFD

• Apr 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM

A great site, that I shall be linking to. I have a web site featuring Gary you and your viewers may find of interest. Dave's Den is located at . The url for the site is http://GDYNets.WebNG.com. Again, a great site.

• Feb 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Gilroy Stadium-do remember there were some great high school football games and track meets held here. It was great at one time.

• Jan 17, 2008 at 7:16 AM

this is the old Bulles service station and towing. Mr Bulles live in the apt. above the station. Across the street look at pic. there was a lot where he would tow the damaged cars

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 3:05 PM

What an interesting look on a city I've only cruised through (or been stuck in traffic). Thanks for your thoughtful look on the problems as well as beautiful things about Gary.

• wish-nu's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 11:43 AM

realy good information

• Nov 11, 2005 at 10:39 AM

I grew up in Gary during the late 40's til the early 60's. I remember a beautiful town, that was safe and secure to live in. It breaks my heart to see it like it is now.

• Oct 30, 2005 at 7:40 PM

I wanted to hear about the airport in GARY and our food store and our casinos and hotels.Gary's also home to IUN and the USS Ball Park and we have biggest Bennigan's Restaurant in the counry. Revisit Gary you missed a lot and I think your friends did too.

• daddygila's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 7:45 AM

What a great site !!! Fascinating !!! And a travel philosophy like my own. Happy Trails..

• Jun 25, 2005 at 11:34 AM

I was born on the east side of Gary in 1930, attended Emerson school K-12. My grandfather came to Gary in 1906 and built most of the homes on the west side. .I could go on an on about the great qualities of this, now, destroyed icon. Robert Combs

sambarnett

“death to israel would be death to”

Badges & Stats in Gary