"G.I." Top 5 Page for this destination Gary by sambarnett
Gary Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 123 photos
All at once this photograph conveys a sense of nostalgia for what was, a (some would say unrealistic) hopefulness of what could be and a grim picture of what is. Even the fake window fronts, added just a few years ago, are falling off this decaying structure.
Why create a tourist-themed webpage for a city many consider to be the prime example of the worst place in the United States? Certainly not to emphasize the degradation, although there is enough of it and it should not be ignored. But in the midst of whatever is "the worst" or "bad", examples of humanity flower, often going unnoticed to the acts of violence and fear.
The past together with the present give the future its direction. You don't have to come to Gary, but it's a place worth knowing about.
"The city of Gary was conceived in the counting rooms and born in a jungle. It was nursed on faith and schooled in the fiery furnace of toil. It is peopled by men and women of every living tongue and creed... As steel goes, so goes the world, and Gary is its prophet."
- Mayor Thomas Knotts, 1910
"Don't push me cuz I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to lose my head.
It's like a jungle, sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under."
- Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, 1982
"Just as in the past, Gary could be the engine that drives the growth of Northwest Indiana... The hope of this Region is the City of Gary. Everything that is done to tear Gary down is doing great harm to the whole Region. As goes Gary, so goes the rest of the Region."
- Mayor Richard Hatcher, 1987
- Pros:the jackson five
- In a nutshell:Magic City of Steel, Murder Capital, City of the Century, G.I.
This 10-story skyscraper is a remaining highlight of Gary's "Augustan Age", a time of rapid growth and development... more travel advice
Initially, Gary's East Side contained planned company housing, much like the West Side. While the West Side was home to... more travel advice
sambarnett's Related Pages
Gary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana...."
- "Kickin' it in tha city of Gary, Indiana!"
- "More Than a Musical Comedy Song"
- "City of contrasts"
- "Tough town"
- "tom0990's new Gary page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gary
- Transportation in Gary
- Restaurants in Gary
- Warnings and Dangers in Gary
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gary
- 39 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Gary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gary
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues