"Crown Point, Indiana" Crown Point by sambarnett

Crown Point Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 24 photos

This small city of about 20,000 people serves not only as the seat of Lake County, Indiana, but has also found itself garnering national attention many times throughout its 170 year history.

Connecticut-born Solon Robinson (1803-1880) and his wife Mariah first arrived here and claimed a spot on what was then prairie land in October 1834. A small obelisk located in the northwest corner of Crown Point’s downtown square marks the spot of his cabin. Robinson ran a general store, traded with local Pottawatomie, funded the county’s first courthouse and earned the nickname the “Squatter King of Lake County” after hosting a meeting of early settlers called the Squatters Union who sought to protect their claims from speculation when the land officially went for sale. Robinson returned east in 1852, sixteen years before the city incorporated, serving as the agricultural editor of the New York Tribune and working the US Department of Agriculture. Some locals say Robinson actually hated everything about the area, but city mucky-mucks (as we call 'em) would probably reject that claim.

I lived in Crown Point from 1994 to 2003 and before that I made many trips down Broadway to go to church, the Fair, to shop, eat or hang out. My feelings about Crown Point are mixed.
   Suburban sprawl is destroying the city's rural charm (and I'll be the first to admit that my family was a part of that.) The simple, even closed minded small town mentality persists in many and such ignorance in a changed world is not only backwards, it's frustrating to deal with. Some of the cops are racists (or just real assholes who serve and protect nothing) and some of the politicians are real shysters. And then there's the white trash.
   But I don't mean to paint a picture of CP as a bad place. Far from it actually. Most of my best friends are from Crown Point, there are a lot of pretty houses and buildings, homey yet entertaining local events (The Lake County Fair, Taste of Crown Point, the Farmers Market), drives into the serene countryside are still possible, I can't wait to ride the new bike trails and it's always possible to meet a few nice girls in town. Oh, and I just LOVE the sign pictured here! Although I no longer live in Crown Point and it is doubtful I ever will again I am a frequent visitor and I hope to be so for years to come.

• Pros:small town vibe
  • Cons:small town vibe
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2003

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM

Nice page and pics of this town!! I liked houses of Crown Point. Greetz:)

• Jul 19, 2006 at 2:36 PM

seaofgreen makes me embarrassed to be white and straight anywayssss I think it is great that CP has so many nice places to dine and drink I thought of spending more time there Hope i don't run into u know who!!!

• Jun 5, 2006 at 5:23 AM

been in C.P. since 57 yes it takes all kinds here, wish we could turn back the clock about 40 years

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 7:17 AM

don't ya just love whities? always giving themselves enough rope to hang themselves by their hate.

• Jun 2, 2006 at 9:33 PM

Born and raised in CP. Like it the way it is. Don't want minorities or homosexuals like yourself here. Don't come back, your kind isn't welcome.

• Nov 13, 2005 at 6:11 PM

Grew up in CP. Heard the dog statue story when I was a boy. Swam in Fancher lake when I was a little. Used to be a bus from CP to Gary in the sixties. Everyone shopped in Gary then. Remember first run movies at the Crown theater. Great comments.

• Sep 24, 2005 at 12:52 PM

I am writing my family history. Born Gary Indiana-1959. 738 Delaware street to Sidney Slominski b 1915. He worked at Gary mills 1936-1963 belonged St. Hedwigs church in Gary. #337 Holy Trinity society. Sincerely, Jerry Slominski Papillion, Nebraska

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2004 at 6:36 AM

Very interesting . And to think we were within 5 miles of Crown Point when we drove from Indianapolis to Chicago on I85 .

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 5:15 PM

Shortsighted idiots aren't unique to Crown Point. Did you know that the Eiffel Tower was once regarded as an eyesore by Parisians?

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2003 at 7:50 PM

The "gingerbread" courthouse is just that -- something out of Candyland. A little too frivolous for the gravity of its purpose! Now, the movie theater. . .THERE'S my sense of decorum!

sambarnett

“death to israel would be death to”

Badges & Stats in Crown Point

Have you been to Crown Point?

Latest Activity in Crown Point