"Kenwood, Chicago" Kenwood by sambarnett

Kenwood Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 7 photos

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Chicago, but there is one thing about the city (and all major cities) that bugs me a bit: the lack of large, green yards. Maybe it's because I grew up in an area where space wasn't at such a premium, but there's something about sprawling lawns that puts me at peace and pleases my eyes.

So if the concrete, grass and brick jungle is getting to you I suggest a trip to Kenwood, on Chicago's South Side. Just north of Hyde Park and the University of Chicago, Kenwood is a mixed, affluent neighborhood of large mansions and lots of greenery. Often overlooked from a tourist's perspective, some very well-known people have called Kenwood home and architectural gems abound.

Note that the Kenwood listing here on VT actually refers to an area near downstate Champaign, not the Chicago neighborhood I detail here. As I'm sure Chicago's Kenwood is far more interesting that it's downstate namesake I feel justified in taking this liberty. Hopefully this will not cause any confusion.

• Intro Updated May 16, 2003

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2004 at 7:37 AM

I really enjoyed the pictures of early Frank Lloyd Wright. So different than his more avante garde and later styles we have in Cal. Our Civic Center in San Rafael CA is his last design - I have a pic on my page...

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2003 at 11:51 AM

Fun to go back and re-visit these great homes through the magic of VT. I haven't been in Kenwood in 13 years or so.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2003 at 9:10 PM

Hope there's lots more to come. Really fascinating stuff.

• Norali's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2003 at 4:59 PM

Just passing by but for sure, I will re-visit your Chicago page since I like FLW works, esp. "Falling Water" and pieces of furniture. I fell for this style. Go on! Go on!

• May 16, 2003 at 10:08 PM

Beautiful houses. Very interesting comments you've made. Merci!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 7:23 PM

Since building my own hometown page I'm particularly fascinated by early 20th century American architecture for private households.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 11:47 AM

I like this commentary of this off the beaten path green oasis in Chicago. i hope you're just warming up.

sambarnett

“death to israel would be death to”

Badges & Stats in Kenwood

Have you been to Kenwood?

Latest Activity in Kenwood