"Galena" Top 5 Page for this destination Galena by sambarnett
Galena Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 191 photos
This bucolic town, situated about 10 miles east of the Mississippi River on US-20, was the unofficial "capital" of the Upper Mississippi Basin in the pre-Civil War years thanks to the lead mines in nearby Wisconsin. A hundred years after fortunes dwindled the town hit another mine: the well preserved streets and buildings, along with the soft, rolling beauty of the nearby countryside lent easily to tourism. A few historic sights, lovely buildings and a lack of the kind of gaudiness found in tourist towns of this sort make Galena an excellent place to stop for a long lunch followed by a leisurely stroll about town.
Built in 1826, this former trading post and residence is the oldest house in Galena. It is also the oldest stone... more travel advice
Galena is a very popular tourist destination and is getting to be moreso each year it seems. Summers and fall weekend... more travel advice
sambarnett's Related Pages
Galena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- "Valentines Day in Galena"
- "Jenilady's new Galena Page"
- "Annual Easter Weekend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galena
- Hotels in Galena
- Transportation in Galena
- Nightlife in Galena
- Restaurants in Galena
- Shopping in Galena
- Warnings and Dangers in Galena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galena
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Galena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galena
Photos in GalenaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Indiana Dunes State Park Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues