"Freeport, Illinois" Freeport by sambarnett
Freeport Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos
There is no major body of water anywhere near the 26,000 person town of Freeport, so why the name? According to the old WPA guide to Illinois it satirizes one William "Tutty" Baker, an early settler who had a predilection for offering free rooms, board and passage to visitors, much to his wife's dismay.
Don't come looking for hand outs today. Like so many other towns across the heartland, times just ain't like they used to be. Although far from decrepit, the town looks like it could use a good sprucing up, and a little bit of community TLC (as well as steady jobs with decent pay.)
While heading west on US 20 I remembered that Freeport was the home of my VT friend zrim so I decided to stop and have a look around. Not that there's much to entice the traveler off US 20 (the heart of Freeport is located on the US 20 Business loop) but it was nice to have the town to myself on a quiet, grey Good Friday morning. Visit zrim's Freeport page for a more detailed look at this northern Illinois town.
This memorial, in front of the ugly modern county building, comemorates local Civil War dead. more travel advice
sambarnett's Related Pages
Freeport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where I grew up"
- "Freeport, Illinois"
- "timberlane74's new Freeport Page"
- "Freeport - Small Town America"
- "Freeport Illinois"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freeport
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Freeport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freeport
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues