"Berwick" Berwick-Upon-Tweed by sambarnett
Berwick-Upon-Tweed Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 151 photos
With its location on the English - Scottish border, Berwick became one of the most heavily fortified towns in all of Great Britian. Over the centuries control of Berwick passed between both nations, each adding more defences. By the 14th century the town was under English control, but an invasion from the north was always a fear. Old defences were reinforced and new walls and ramparts were built.
Fortunately for today's visitor many remants are still visible in there orginal form. The castle on the River Tweed dates from 1160 while many of the town's wall and ramparts were built between the late 15th to eighteenth centuries.
Beautiful pathways lead from the town down to the river, where one can walk along the banks and fully admire the old castle, the bridges and the rolling, green countryside. The town itself is very walkable, small yet bustling, beautiful and friendly. It is well worth a day.
Berwick's main attraction are the army barracks, constructed between 1717-21, the first of their kind in Great Britain, and now operated by English Heritage.
'Picture if you can a room with beds 18 inches apart ... On and in the beds are men, some lying full dressed on the beds in a semi-drunken stupor occasionally muttering curses, others smoking and snoring, try and picture this and you will have some slight idea of the misery endured by a steady young man in the army in hundreds of barrack rooms in the country.'
- unknown mid 19th century solider
The large town hall stands head and shoulders above the town and makes a great navagational point. more travel advice
sambarnett's Related Pages
Berwick-Upon-Tweed Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fortress Berwick"
- "Gateway to Scotland"
- "Berwick Upon Tweed"
- "Berwick Upon Tweed"
- "Scots or English?"
- "The border begins here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Hotels in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Transportation in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Nightlife in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Restaurants in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Shopping in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Warnings and Dangers in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Berwick-Upon-Tweed?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
Photos in Berwick-Upon-TweedSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 69 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gary Intro, 39 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porter Intro, 43 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miller Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hammond Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Berwick-Upon-Tweed hotel reviews
- Haggerston Castle Holiday Park
- 656 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Black Bull Inn
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Cat Inn
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Meadow Hill Guest House
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2013
- Kings Arms Hotel
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013