Eger Things to Do Tips by Ben-UK Top 5 Page for this destination
Eger Things to Do: 95 reviews and 160 photos
Dating back to the 13th century, the castle became part of Hungarian folklore following the heroic defence against the Turks in 1552.
2,000 Eger heroes held out for 38 days against an invading force of 60,000 -- the Turks retreated in defeat.
During the siege, the Eger forces, led by Dobo Istvan, drank large quantities of the local wine -- their red, wine-stained beards gave the Turks the excuse that the Eger forces had been drinking the blood of bulls to give them extra strength -- hence the name Bull's Blood wine.
However, Bull's Blood or not, the Turks returned in 1599 and this time conquered the town and then controlled the region for almost a century.
Today the castle house various exhibitions, but even if you don't want to see any of those, it's worth making the climb up the hill to see the magnificent views from the castle.
Directions: Overlooking the town -- just follow the signs.
A constant reminder of Turkish rule is the 30-metre high minaret, the last remaining part of the mosque -- 97 spiral steps take you to the top.
My photo was taken from the castle.
Address: Knezich Karoly u.
Directions: Follow the signs ...
Built between 1831 and 1836, the neoclassical style Basilica is Hungary's second largest church.
Open daily 7am to 8pm
Organ recitals are held daily at 11-30 from 15th May to 15th October (Sundays at 12-45)
Address: Eszterhazy ter
Directions: In the centre of town.
The main square in Eger -- close to the castle and dominated by the Minorite Church, the square has a statue of Dobo Istvan as its centrepiece - Dobo was the leader of the besieged Eger forces, holding out in Eger Castle against the Turkish invaders in 1552.
Wine cellars in the Valley of the Nice Women
About a 20-minute walk from the town centre takes you to the Valley of the Nice Women.
Nothing to do with women, the valley is full of little wine cellars embedded into the hillside, each offering a variety of local wines at a very cheap price -- there are a few touristy restaurants there too.
Address: Szepasszony volgy
Directions: Follow the signs from the centre of Eger.
More Reviews (1)
Ben-UK's Related Pages
Eger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome To Eger"
- "Eger - I was delighted"
- "Eastward Ho! Reliving Past Glories"
- "Ben-UK's Eger page"
- "Land of Wine, Women and Song"
- "Little Eger"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eger
- Hotels in Eger
- Transportation in Eger
- Nightlife in Eger
- Restaurants in Eger
- Shopping in Eger
- Warnings and Dangers in Eger
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- Hong Kong
- Palma de Mallorca
- Cancún Hotels
- York Mills Hotels
Badges & Stats in Eger
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Eger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eger
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park Intro, 77 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yorkshire Dales National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 111 photos
- Scotland Intro, 54 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 57 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 80 photos
- Krakow Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zakopane Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
No friends yet.