"Ben-UK's Lake District page" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park by Ben-UK
Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 489 reviews and 1,317 photos
In the north-west of England, set amongst the Cumbrian Mountains, the Lake District is a great place to visit. There are 16 lakes, ranging from the largest, Lake Windermere (over 10 miles / 6km long), to the smallest, Brothers Water (less than half a mile / 0.3km long).
For walkers and climbers, there are 4 peaks in excess of 1,000 ft (300m), including Scafell Pike , at 3210 ft (987m) England's highest peak. The Lake District covers an area of 866 square miles (2,243 square kilometres) so if you want to explore it thoroughly make sure you have a good map with you when you go.
Of course the main attraction is the dramatic scenery -- the lakes, the fells (rocky, large hills or small mountains ) the dales (valleys) and the peaks -- but there's lots of history here too: there is evidence of Stone Age civilisation; the Romans certainly left their mark with the roads and forts they constructed; the Norse occupied the area around 900AD and cleared forests to start industry and it's thought they introduced the Herdwick sheep, the hardy breed that are so familiar on the Lake District fells to this day.
In more recent times, literary giants such as William Wordsworth and John Ruskin lived here and artists such as Turner and Constable painted the Lakes vistas -- such affinities helped develop the tourism industry that the Lake District enjoys today.
Unfortunately the Lake District has a reputation for attracting rainy weather -- however it's not always like that -- I took the above photo from Ambleside at the north end of Lake Windermere on January 29th, 2005 -- blue skies and sunshine in January, it was perfect ...
So, there's lots to see and do in the Lake District -- I hope my photos and tips will give you some indication of what the area has to offer and if you visit I hope you have some sunny days to enjoy it.
If you visit the Lake District then you must go to Hawkshead, for many the prettiest village in the Lakes. Fans of... more travel advice
On the eastern edge of the Lake District, Haweswater is actually a reservoir and, along with Thirlmere, provides water... more travel advice
Ben-UK's Related Pages
Lake District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Right On Our Doorstep......"
- "A favourite part of the country"
- "Lake District"
- "Ben-UK's Lake District page"
- "It`s Just A Hop Skip And A Jump"
- "Scenery at its best"
- "The Lake District - scenery at its best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake District National Park
- Hotels in Lake District National Park
- Transportation in Lake District National Park
- Nightlife in Lake District National Park
- Restaurants in Lake District National Park
- Shopping in Lake District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake District National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park
- 34 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Lake District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake District National Park
Photos in Lake District National ParkSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park Intro, 77 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yorkshire Dales National Park Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 57 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 54 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 80 photos
- Krakow Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zakopane Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos