"WFTR's Cookeville Page" Cookeville by WFTR

Cookeville Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 13 photos

Important notice

At the end of the Christmas holiday, there was a traffic stop made on I-40 near Cookeville where an innocent family's dog was killed by a Cookeville police officer. The whole stop showed incredible incompetence by the police, and I lean towards urging people to boycott Cookeville until these officers are brought to justice. I explain the situation in much greater detail at

Original intro

I lived in Cookeville, Tennessee from August of 1996 until October of 1999 while I earned a master's degree in chemical engineering from Tennessee Tech University. I already had another master's degree in engineering and never wanted to have to return for another. Unfortunately, a lay-off and a bad job situation forced me to "do something," and earning another degree became the best of several unpleasant options. In many ways, I guess I'll always regret having to spend those years as I did. In other ways, I'll carry fond memories. Cookeville is a great little town, and Tennessee Tech was a great place to earn a degree.
<p>
Several Cookeville area tips are presented on my main Tennessee page. Burgess Falls is listed as an "Off the Beaten Path" activity, and Fall Creek Falls is a "Must See." I doubt that Cookeville will ever be anyone's primary vacation destination unless they are parents taking their eighteen-year-old to college for the first time. Even so, Cookeville is a neat place and deserves a mention on VT.
<p>
Cookeville is on the Cumberland Plateau, so there are no great mountains to see from any vantage point in the area. The town itself seems pretty flat, and on my walks around campus and town only remember small, pleasant hills. Driving the roads around Cookeville, one will find some hills, but none are particularly memorable. What is memorable is the valleys that will open suddenly beside the road. Many times I'd be driving along and suddenly come across a place where I could see for miles into some valley cut by a little stream into the plateau. I never got any great pictures of these sites, but they were fun to see.

• Pros:Pretty little town with many nice people
  • Cons:They made a big mistake
  • In a nutshell:If they'd make something right, I'd urge all to see it.
  • Last visit to Cookeville: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2003

Comments

WFTR

“Liberty isn`t for cowards”

Badges & Stats in Cookeville

Have you been to Cookeville?

Friends