"Macedonia" Republic of Macedonia by a5floor
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide: 3,283 reviews and 12,046 photos
In the past, Macedonia was a provence/state of Yugoslavia. In the 1990s, when the war in Yugoslavia ended, the whole Yugslavia fell apart. So, Macedonia became a nation since then.
Here are some facts and figures about Macedonia:
Indepence from Yugoslavia since 8 September 1991.
Some people would say Republic of Macedonia, others say Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM).
The population is about 2.2 million.
The capitol is Skopje.
Macedonia has 5 'neighbours': Albania, Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece.
There are 2 major lakes: Lake Ohrid (together with Albania) and Lake Prespa (together with Albania and Greece).
There are 2 airports in Macedonia. Alexander the Great airport in Skopje and St Paul the Apostle airport in Ohrid.
The 3 main religions are Orthodox Christian, Muslim and Jew.
The currency is the Macedonian Denar (MKD). The exchange rate is 1 Euro = 61 MKD (May/June 2011). In hotels you can pay either in Euros or Denars.
There are foreign ambassies and consulates in Macedonia. Embassies are from: Albania, Austra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, UK and US. Consulates are from: Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Greece, Israel, Japan, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey and UK.
There are minorities in Macedonia: Albanians, Turks, Torbesi, Roma and Aromanians/Vlachs.
The people of Macedonia don't earn much money. About 300-400 Euro a month. For us Western Europeans/Americans/Canadians/Australian/New Zealand the cost for food, restaurants, hotels, etc in Macedonia are pretty cheap.
- Pros:I really liked Ohrid, Bitola and the landscape during the Euromeet & wine and dine tour. Awesome!!
- Cons:The capital Skopje
- In a nutshell:One of the countries you should have visited in your life.
The language from Macedonia doesn't make any sense to other people from the West. But when you are in Macedonia, try at... more travel advice
a5floor's Related Pages
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Te Sakam Macedonia!"
- "FYR OF MACEDONIA"
- "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- "Smiles sent from Sunny MACIE"
- "Mnogu ja sakam Makedonjia!"
- "Macedonia the land of the sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Macedonia
- Hotels in Republic of Macedonia
- Transportation in Republic of Macedonia
- Nightlife in Republic of Macedonia
- Restaurants in Republic of Macedonia
- Shopping in Republic of Macedonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Macedonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Macedonia
- 6 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Republic of Macedonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Macedonia
Videos in Republic of MacedoniaSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Mauritius Intro, 110 reviews, 534 photos
- Marne-la-Vallée Intro, 105 reviews, 486 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 90 reviews, 400 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 391 photos, 7 travelogues
- Maldives Intro, 66 reviews, 337 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 74 reviews, 288 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 55 reviews, 253 photos, 3 travelogues
- Arnhem Intro, 45 reviews, 212 photos
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 44 reviews, 196 photos, 4 travelogues
- De Cocksdorp Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues