"MY TRIP TO DARWIN" Darwin by a5floor

Darwin Travel Guide: 685 reviews and 2,050 photos

On 14 July I went to Australia. At 9.00 pm I was flying away from Schiphol Airport. To Australia it took about 19 (plus some waiting at the airports) to take me there.
I was going from Amsterdam to London to Singapore and final destination Darwin. I flew with Qantas.

I arrived in Darwin on 16 July at 4.15 am. I took the bus to the Transit Centre. This is a place were all busses come together. From there I walked to the Banyan View Lodge. This is a hostel. The reception wasn't open till 8 am, so I waited up there. Because I didn't booked a stay, I didn't know if I could get a room. When they opened, they told me that they didn't had place. From Thursday they had, but it was only Tuesday. So, I walked to another hostel which was across the road. The name of the hostel was Elkes Inner City Backpackers. They had a few space left. I got a bed in a dorm. I asked if they had place left for a single, but not untill the day after. This is a place were you can sleep together with 3 other persons. After putting my bags into the room, I went for a shower.

In the afternoon I went for the Darwin Walking Tour. You are walking a certain path along the important buildings of Darwin. When you do this, you will see the Old Town Hall, the former mining exchange named Brown's Mart), the former police station & courthouse, Survivors' Lookout (which has great views out over the harbour), the Government House, Submarine Cable Monument, Supreme Court, Parliament House, Bicentennial Park (this is a little park with monuments of WW2 and from the people who are now in the army) and Doctor's Gully.

The next day I only did go to the WW2 Oil Storage Tunnels. This is a tunnel which was used in Worl War 2 to store the oil. The Japanese attacked Australia during the 2nd World War. It started by attacking Darwin because Darwin is the most northern city of Australia. The tunnel is hugh and deep in the mountain.

On the 3rd day I went to see the Indo-Pacific Marine. This is a place were you can see the coral of the see in the Great Barrier Reef. It was really interesting to learn about the eco systeem of the coral and how life under water is living. First you will see a video about life under water. After that you are going to a basin were you can see the coral in real life. They haven't refreshed the water for 6 years allready. Because they want the eco-system to do it by itself. There are a maximum of 15 fish in this basin. After spending time in the marine, I went afterwards to Stokes Hill Wharf. This is a place were you can watch the boats passing by. On the Wharf there are also several restaurants were you eat mainly fish. There was also a Navy boat. I took several pictures of them.

On day 4 I went to Aquascene. This is a place were fish are coming when there is high tide. There are special hours for the high tide. Every month there is a leaflet about the times so you can go there at these times. When I was going there, I could go from 11.45 am till 14.15 pm. At 12.30 pm there was the tide was at it highest: 5.70 meter (it can go to 7.20 meter). The people who work there are putting baskets with bread in it, so you can feed the fish. Within half an hour all the bread was gone. They weren't expexting that much people for that day. But very fast there was more bread. You can also stand in the water to fead the fish. It is really nice to watch it!

On day 5 I took the Tour Tub to go to the East Point Military Museum. This is a musuem grounded by a former navy guy who found it really important to show people how things were going during WW2 in Australia. This museum is really a visit worth. You see old pictures, newspapers, guns, swords, canons, jeeps and tanks.

On day 6 and 7 and didn't do much special.

On 23 July I went with a bus to Cairns. This bus was riding nearly 3500 kilometers in 5 days. You will be pretty tired after this trip. But you also will see some of the "outback" of Australia. From Darwin you are going to Katherine. From Katherine to Cape Crawford, Mount Isa, Croydon and finally Cairns. During this trip you will see some. On the first day we had a walk to a little lake. The water was coming from the top because there was a rockformation. Unfortunately it was the dry season and there wasn't much water coming down. On day 2 and 3 you are riding only. On day 4 we saw 2 paintings made by Aboriginals in the early days. Because of the changing weahter, 1 of the paintings was allmost gone. The busdriver told us that the other painting will fade away in the next 10 or 20 years. On day 5 we were standing at a lookout were we could see Cairns in the far. So, finally I was in Cairns!!

See more on my Cairns page.

• Pros:The weather is excellent during the whole year.
  • Cons:You only have to stay a week there because there is nothing much to do up there.
  • Last visit to Darwin: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2007

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 2:27 AM

Nice photos - this is my first stop in May! The thought of it is getting me through the British winter! Gillybob greetings

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Looks like you have seen much more of Australia than I have and I lived there for 30 years!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2004 at 4:22 AM

Great Page!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 5:04 AM

Hi Janka, very nice Darwin Page you have shared with us here. It is a shame you did noy do a day trip to Kakadu National park. G'day from Australia

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 9:21 AM

Nice page ... Tho, you should add some more comments on your travelogues !!!

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2003 at 1:09 PM

Nice Darwin page...groetjes..... Michael

• cbrandlehner's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 7:14 AM

Please can you add some information if this bus is for free or (what I expect) how much the fee for a trip or the whole day is?

• maryamy's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2003 at 4:44 AM

Funny, I photographed the same orchid in Singapore airport last year. You can see one in the album on my home page.

• Apr 11, 2003 at 4:45 AM

nice page with neat phtographs and information..

• Rischard's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2003 at 2:59 AM

Prachtige informatie, bedank Janka voor nuttige tip's en mooi foto's, groetjes, Rischard.

a5floor

“LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX!!!”

Badges & Stats in Darwin