"Salvador" Salvador da Bahia by msp_ssa
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 630 reviews and 1,335 photos
This is where I spent the majority of my time in Brazil. This city is amazing. Salvador sometimes gets a bad rap for being provincial or too small town. The Southeast and South of Brazil definitely get the lion's share of media attention and buzz, but the Northeast of Brazil, where you'll find Salvador, is in my opinion where you'll also find Brazil's heart and soul.
The people are loving and approachable. During my time there I went out with some friends to a party at a coworkers house in the Roma neighborhood. My friend who was driving wasn't very familiar with the area and we couldn't find the street we needed. My friend rolled down her window and asked the people who were next to us in a Volkswagon Minibus where the street was. To my surprise the guy in the Minibus told us to follow him and he'd take us there. I was sure he was going to take us for a ride around the city and ditch us. Sure enough he lead us directly to where we were going and beeped his horn as he drove away. That's just one of many stories of Baianos who went out of their way to help me.
Baianos also get called lazy, but I found that not to hold true. Sometimes I think people confuse knowing how to enjoy life with being lazy. The work ethic that I saw was strong. People who work six days a week for next to nothing, doing something like collecting garbage, aren't lazy.
Salvador is filled with beautiful architecture. There are old churches, forts and houses all over the city and it feels like you're walking through a museum.
From this fort in Monte Serrat you have a beautiful view of Salvador. This area is worth visiting. Ribeira is nearby and is also worth a visit.
Here's the view of Salvador from Forte Monte Serrat
- Pros:Everyday is a reason for a party.
- Cons:Everyday is a reason for a party.
- In a nutshell:Everyday is a reason for a party.
Check out Avenida Sete as it's referred to by the locals. There's a lot to see along this street. There are many stores... more travel advice
This is a large cemetery in the Federação neighborhood. I thought this was a beautiful place and I came here a few times... more travel advice
- See All Elevador Lacerda
- See All Beach Soccer
- See All Local Newspaper
- Shopping for CDs
msp_ssa's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 30 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Airport - ABC's"
- updated a Salvador da Bahia Travelogue "November 2004 trip to Salvador"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Salvador"
- Wrote a Review Avenida Sete de Setembro about Carnival in Salvador da Bahia Things to Do
- Commented on one of Kittelite's Salvador da Bahia travel pages
Photos in Salvador da BahiaSee All Photos (55)
Top 5 Pages
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 30 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Minneapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Paul Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Serrinha Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Salvador da Bahia hotel reviews
- Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
- 388 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Bahiacafe Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Pousada do Boqueirao
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Pousada Terra Nossa
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Nega Maluca Guesthouse
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Atlantic Towers
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2013
- Albergue das Laranjeiras
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2012
- Barra Guest Hostel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Albergue dos Anjos
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Village Novo
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Pousada da Mangueira
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Pousada da Saude
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2012
- Albergue do Pelo
- 1 Review & Opinion