"WE ALTERNATE" Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax by pieter_jan_v

Halifax Travel Guide: 996 reviews and 1,932 photos

General Information

Halifax, Nova Scotia is a nice town, both for students, navy employees and tourists.

Useful links:

Visitor Information
Travel and Tourism
Downtown Halifax Information
Halifax Municipality

2012 Update: I face a major challenge. Many of my restaurant and shopping tips became invalid, due to close of businesses, moves and construction. See it possitive, there still is life in this city. The skyline is changing for sure. Opposite Dartmouth started with highrisers at the waterfront too and in Halifax new ones are added. The downside is that a few blocks up the hill you cannot see the harbour in its full glory, some blocks are just demolished and the city lost some characteristic landmark buildings. Call it progress. The same is going on at the Spring Garden area. And be aware that Halifax parking and driving changed. Parking meters are introduced to more areas and some one way streets have their direction reversed.

WE ALTERNATE

The traffic in Halifax is so different from elsewhere in Canada. People just alternate, regardless of blinking traffic lights or STOP signs. Drivers stay in lane forever at Quinpool Road, waiting for leftturners to go. The Armdale Rotary is the creasiest roundabout in the world. The traffic lights were fully ignored by everybody and the traffic flowed perfectly by the local "we alternate" rule; maybe that's the reason the lights are gone now. And please stop for each pedestrian; it's an unwritten law!

2008 Update: It seems that some out-of-town traffic influence is taken over. The traffic load is higher, the impatience grows and a number of pedestrian crossings are equipped with lights, blocking the flow of traffic even more. Stay in your line is no golden rule anymore and due the lack of a green light mechanism, shortcuts become even more popular. I admire the cyclist that are still on the road. BTW, potholes became widespread; and I mean BIG holes!

Luckely, there are some alternaters left on the road.

2012: Even the Downtown Welcome sign is new!

• Pros:Perfect blue skies and friendly people
  • Cons:Somewhat cold in winter (and wet in Spring [2008])
  • In a nutshell:Great small town with Halligoonians
  • Last visit to Halifax: May 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2012

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hi . Enjoyed your pages of my home town . If you are back sometime , maybe we can meet.. I am usually around during the summer.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
      Feb 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Good idea, last Thursday I had to instruct a co-worker, who had to work on the German Supply ship that came into port over the weekend.
      I might be involved into some in service support activities myself. When I will travel I let you know (and tvor too).

PJ

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
      Feb 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Sounds good!!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I saw I've found my restaurant!!!!

Ciao!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Hello, Pieter! You are a travel expert of this place....

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Very interesting PJ. Have only been to Halifax for a day (many years ago) and didn't even know the cemetery was there.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM

50 restaurants? ohmygod.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 9:22 AM

We do love theodore the tugboat! There is even content for Adults! Safe travels!

• tvor's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Good pics! Good to see you again!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 1:20 AM

I just returned and rated... ;) Good job, these pages. Impressive list of restaurants!

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Hell moved on to NYC! But not before it froze Renee in Boston!

• shutterlust's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 10:57 AM

thanks for virtually keeping an eye out for me in Santorini Pieter! :) hopefully DAO doesn't get me too drunk on that Grecian wine...

pieter_jan_v

“Are you ready boots? Start Walking (from These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra)”

Badges & Stats in Halifax

Have you been to Halifax?

Latest Activity in Halifax