"WE ALTERNATE" Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax by pieter_jan_v
Halifax Travel Guide: 987 reviews and 1,902 photos
Halifax, Nova Scotia is a nice town, both for students, navy employees and tourists.
NS Highway Cameras
Travel and Tourism
Downtown Halifax Information
2012 Update: I face a major challenge. Many of my restaurant and shopping tips became invalid, due to close of businesses, moves and construction. See it possitive, there still is life in this city. The skyline is changing for sure. Opposite Dartmouth started with highrisers at the waterfront too and in Halifax new ones are added. The downside is that a few blocks up the hill you cannot see the harbour in its full glory, some blocks are just demolished and the city lost some characteristic landmark buildings. Call it progress. The same is going on at the Spring Garden area. And be aware that Halifax parking and driving changed. Parking meters are introduced to more areas and some one way streets have their direction reversed.
The traffic in Halifax is so different from elsewhere in Canada. People just alternate, regardless of blinking traffic lights or STOP signs. Drivers stay in lane forever at Quinpool Road, waiting for leftturners to go. The Armdale Rotary is the creasiest roundabout in the world. The traffic lights were fully ignored by everybody and the traffic flowed perfectly by the local "we alternate" rule; maybe that's the reason the lights are gone now. And please stop for each pedestrian; it's an unwritten law!
2008 Update: It seems that some out-of-town traffic influence is taken over. The traffic load is higher, the impatience grows and a number of pedestrian crossings are equipped with lights, blocking the flow of traffic even more. Stay in your line is no golden rule anymore and due the lack of a green light mechanism, shortcuts become even more popular. I admire the cyclist that are still on the road. BTW, potholes became widespread; and I mean BIG holes!
Luckely, there are some alternaters left on the road.
2012: Even the Downtown Welcome sign is new!
- Pros:Perfect blue skies and friendly people
- Cons:Somewhat cold in winter (and wet in Spring )
- In a nutshell:Great small town with Halligoonians
Allie's Boutique sells Jewellery, handbags, Sunglasses, Wallets and Accessories. The shop is managed by Allie... more travel advice
As in most parts of Canada Main power and telephone landlines are hanging in the air, spoiling many pictures you want to... more travel advice
- See All Live music at Argyle
- See All Burns Statue
- See All St. Matthew's Church
- See All Arriving by Cruise ship
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Halifax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WE ALTERNATE"
- "Where Tvor Lives"
- "Halifax MY Home Town"
- "Fantastic Halifax"
- "Halifax - North America's Major Port City"
- "Canada's Ocean Playground"
- "Sleeping with Juan: Halifax"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halifax
- Hotels in Halifax
- Transportation in Halifax
- Nightlife in Halifax
- Restaurants in Halifax
- Shopping in Halifax
- Warnings and Dangers in Halifax
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Halifax
- 183 Reviews
- 418 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Halifax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halifax
Photos in HalifaxSee All Photos (418)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1522 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 157 reviews, 417 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues