"Rats!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hameln by pieter_jan_v
Hameln Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 223 photos
Hameln is a very old German city known from the Pied Piper story. Its written history dates back to the 9th century. The town got its city rights in 1277.
There are signs that the town is much older as shipping at the Weser river is proven to exist around 900BC.
Unfortunaly much of the old archived city documents were burned in WWII.
The story of the Pied Piper dates back to 1284 when Hameln suffered from a rat infestation. A stranger arrived dressed in pied clothing claiming he could end the plague. The people of Hameln promised him to pay if he succeeded. The rat-cather played a catching song on his flute and lured all the rats to the Weser river where they drowned. The people were happy but the piper was not payed the full agreed sum of money.
In anger the piper returned on Sts. John and Paul's Day when the people were attending a church service. Once again he played a song, now luring 130 of the Hameln children into a cave of the Koppelberg Hill and where they were never seen again.
- Pros:Lovely old German houses
- Cons:A million visitors each year
- In a nutshell:Pied Piper town
You'll find this dwarf pair halfway down the Osterstraße. It's the setting for the Fräulein Pritzi & die Zwerge craft... more travel advice
Stadtcafé Älja is a typical German café with nice front terrace. The building is made with half-timbered walls, a... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Hameln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hameln - Home of the Pied Piper"
- "Pied Piper of Hamelin"
- "The city of The Pied Piper"
- "HAMELN & The story of the Pied Piper"
- "The Pied Piper of Hameln"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hameln
- Hotels in Hameln
- Transportation in Hameln
- Restaurants in Hameln
- Shopping in Hameln
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hameln
- 23 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (289)
Have you been to Hameln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hameln
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1955 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 633 photos, 23 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 622 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 200 reviews, 543 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues