"Aardenburg" Aardenburg by pieter_jan_v
Aardenburg Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 9 photos
Aardenburg is one of the oldest Dutch villages. The Romans lived here from 170 till 273 using the location as a coastal fortification.
In 273 the Germans chased the Romans away and later also the Vikings came along.
In the Middle Ages the town regained prosperity under the name Rodenburg and it was part of the Lodon Hanze, a cooperation between 17 Flemish cities.
Aardenburg obtained city rights in 1187. The city was fortified time after time. The fortifications made by order of count Gwijde van Dampierre were destroyed in 1383 by troops from the city of Gent.
The next attack was by the "Watergeuzen", who in 1572 destroyed the Maria statue of the Maria church; what had been a pilgrim destination for many years.
in 1604 the city was taken by the "Staatsen" and refortified. That lasted till 1672 when French troops came in.
After the Spanish war of 1701–1714 Menno van Coehoorn ordered the construction of new fortifications.
In World War II Aardenburg was occupied by the Germans and during the liberation in 1944 the St. Bavo church and many housed were destroyed.
- Pros:Village with a long history
- Cons:Rather romote spot in the Netherlands
- In a nutshell:Castellum Rodanum
At the Burchtstraat the remainders of the first Aardenburg inhabitants, the Romans, can be visited, more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Aardenburg
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to Aardenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aardenburg
Photos in AardenburgSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 538 reviews, 1644 photos, 34 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 186 reviews, 486 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues