"Almelo" Almelo by pieter_jan_v
Almelo Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 83 photos
In the Middle Ages Almelo grew around the House Almelo, located at a country road crossing the small Aa river.
Later the local inhouse textile "industry" grew with the introduction of the steam engine in 1830. Better infrastructure like the Overijssels Kanaal of 1855) and the Salzbergen - Almelo railroad of 1865 started the industrialisation.
In 1960 the city changed due to cheap labour going abroad.
Almelo still has a number of beautiful villa's build for the captains of local industries.
- Pros:There's always something going at Almelo
- In a nutshell:Almelonia
The Wubbo Ockels bench is a placed to honor Hollands first Astronaut Wubbo Ockels, born at Almelo in 1946. The bench was... more travel advice
Wawollie is a big shop selling all kinds of second hand goods. It is housed in a former car repair shop. Whether this... more travel advice
- Almelo Alleys
- See All At the Koornmarkt square
- See All Doopsgezinde Kerk - Mennonite Church
- See All The buses
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Almelo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Almelo, a cynical view......."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Almelo
- Hotels in Almelo
- Transportation in Almelo
- Nightlife in Almelo
- Restaurants in Almelo
- Shopping in Almelo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Almelo
- 31 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Almelo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almelo
Photos in AlmeloSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 536 reviews, 1638 photos, 33 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 172 reviews, 457 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues