"Almelo" Almelo by pieter_jan_v
Almelo Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 88 photos
In the Middle Ages Almelo grew around the House Almelo, located at a country road crossing the small Aa river.
Later the local inhouse textile "industry" grew with the introduction of the steam engine in 1830. Better infrastructure like the Overijssels Kanaal of 1855) and the Salzbergen - Almelo railroad of 1865 started the industrialisation.
In 1960 the city changed due to cheap labour going abroad.
Almelo still has a number of beautiful villa's build for the captains of local industries.
- Pros:There's always something going at Almelo
- In a nutshell:Almelonia
De Waag is a restaria (a combination of restaurant and cafetaria). Fast food is served, can be taken away or being... more travel advice
Da Carlo is a local Italian restaurant. The typical Italian dishes are made by chef Carlo. Business Hours: Mo:... more travel advice
- See All Second Hand / Kringloopwinkel
- Almelo Alleys
- See All Doopsgezinde Kerk - Mennonite Church
- See All The buses
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Almelo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Almelo, a cynical view......."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Almelo
- Hotels in Almelo
- Transportation in Almelo
- Nightlife in Almelo
- Restaurants in Almelo
- Shopping in Almelo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Almelo
- 34 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (289)
Have you been to Almelo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almelo
Photos in AlmeloSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1955 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 633 photos, 23 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 622 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 200 reviews, 543 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues