"Almelo" Almelo by pieter_jan_v
Almelo Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 77 photos
In the Middele Ages Almelo grew around the House Almelo, located at a country road crossing with the small Aa river.
Later the local inhouse textile "industry" grew with the introduction of the steam engine in 1830. Better infrastructure like the Overijssels Kanaal of 1855) and the Salzbergen - Almelo railroad of 1865 started the industralisation.
In 1960 the city changed due to cheap labour going abroad.
Almelo still has a number of beautiful villa's build for the captains of local industries.
- Pros:There's always something going at Almelo
- In a nutshell:Almelonia
Wawollie is a big shop selling all kinds of second hand goods. It is housed in a former car repair shop. Business... more travel advice
The Big Bazar is a shop with many items at low prices; a kind of Dollar store. Business hours: Mo: 1PM - 6PM Tu-We:... more travel advice
- Almelo Alleys
- See All At the Koornmarkt square
- See All Public Toilet
- See All Doopsgezinde Kerk - Mennonite Church
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Almelo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Almelo, a cynical view......."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Almelo
- Hotels in Almelo
- Transportation in Almelo
- Nightlife in Almelo
- Restaurants in Almelo
- Shopping in Almelo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Almelo
- 29 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Almelo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almelo
Photos in AlmeloSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 458 reviews, 1392 photos, 28 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 151 reviews, 395 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues