Amsterdam Warnings Or Dangers Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Warnings and Dangers: 495 reviews and 311 photos
Waiting, waiting, waiting to see Anne Frank
The Anne Frank House is the most popular tourist attraction of Amsterdam.
No wonder, that during the day long waiting lines grow at the entrance.
So, get up early and be there at 9AM sharp (or visit in the early evening hours).
BTW Anne Frank's real house before her family moved to the Achterhuis hideout is located at the Merwedeplein.
No bikcycle parking!
You cannot park your bicycle at any spot.
Most shopkeepers have small signs in their window that they will remove your bike (they don't like to get scratches on the glass or worse).
At the Central Station each week a truckload of wrongly parked bicycles is hauled away.
And even at the Chinese Tempel at the Zeedijk your bicycle is not welcome!
A near miss
The Amsterdam Trams (public transport streetcars) are great to use, but they travel through some narrow crowded streets too (Leidsestraat, Reguliers Breestraat). So, get customized to look out for tracks and fast trams crossing (when you are crossing the street).
Construction works at the East side of the station
Around the Central Train Station works are in progress.
A new busstation will be build at the North side of the building with a pedestrian area at ground level and a motorway underneath.
Furthermore new metro and (high speed) train tracks are under construction.
The metro works needs digging and the train works need overpasses to be build.
At times expect heavy construction works going on. It's is well planned, but may confilct with your plans at times.
There are Pickpockets! (also in the public transportation).
In the main shopping streets you are warned (see picture).
The top 5 pickpocket trics:
1) Cover. You will be surrounded by a group to cover the crime, using newspapers, coats etc. to cover the actual happening.
2) Broken glasses. Somebody drops glasses on the ground and steps on it. You will be accused and in the events that follow you will be pick-pocketed.
3) Back-to-Back. Very popular in Hamburger restaurants. While your coat is hanging on your chair and you finally start enjoying your food, the person that sits back-to-back with you starts his search.
4) Stain. Somebody stains your coat and offers to clean it. The moment you give your coat away..... well you get the picture.
5) Peeking at the ATM. Cover the keyboard when you punch in your pincode.
Besides these 5 there were cases people personating as fake policeman and asking for pasports and more.
Recent Amsterdam crimes map
A safer Amsterdam
Other Contact: Crime report line: 0800-7000
Phone: 112 (Alarm) or 0900-8844
In Amsterdam you can buy "vitamin"-pills, smoke hash, go into the RLD, get drunk and more.....
It's up to you; I rather stay healthy.
For your information: the next list indicaties the likelyhood of trouble vs. cause:
1 - Spacecake (Many tourist confuse this with "normal" cake)
2 - Mushrooms (The strong [negative] effects are not well-known to many)
3 - Cannabis/Soft drugs (Overdosis is a likely cause of trouble)
4 - GHB/XTC (Pills are related to dance parties, but sometimes they are used to seduce victims. Keep an eye on your drink in an unfamiliar place!)
5 - Cocaine/Heroine (only in the illegal circuit and always good for trouble)
6 - Alcohol (Dutch beers contain more alcohol than US ones and drinking too much ...)
Amsterdam has a strict and expensive parking control. If you haven't payed your ticket or have parked your car at the wrong spot, you end up with DE WIELKLEM. Removing cost a lot of money and retrieving your car once it has been towed away cost even more!
2008 Update: From January 1, 2009 the parking police will not use the "wielklem" anymore. It was not friendly enough for foreign visitors.
No peeing on the streets!
Urinating on the street is forbidden; hey, the Krul is there for a reason!
Also there are areas where it's forbidden to carry alcohol and consume in on the street.
Most of the smaller interconnecting streets are dedicated to bicycles! Please walk on the sidewalks.
One more warning: Nowadays cyclist will sometimes be (very) busy with their cell-phones, texting, whatsapping, etc.). Don't expect them to be very watchful.
Motorcycle cop - Amsterdam
If you get in trouble despite all the WARNINGS I gave you, look for Oom Agent (Uncle Policeman). This one is guarding the Dam Square.
And don't cycle at pedestrain areas or walkways!
Other Contact: 112 for emergencies only
More Reviews (633)
- See All Ripley's Believe It Or Not
- See All Vrouw met Stola - statue
- See All Eurotrans
- See All At the NDSM
- See All Former shipyard buildings
- See All Popular hotel for visitors travelling by...
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 655 Reviews
- 1,957 Photos
- 3,914 Forum posts
- 173 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (291)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Members who have passed Away"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Wrote a Review Ripley's Believe It Or Not in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam tips
- Commented on the Driving & Parking, Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1957)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1955 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 633 photos, 23 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 622 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 201 reviews, 548 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 151 Reviews, 181 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 197 Reviews, 321 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 243 Reviews, 259 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Dam Square- 93 Reviews, 174 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 167 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 68 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 214 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 97 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Madame Tussaud's- 62 Reviews, 124 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do