Amsterdam Warnings Or Dangers Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Warnings and Dangers: 490 reviews and 299 photos
Waiting, waiting, waiting to see Anne Frank
The Anne Frank House is the most popular tourist attraction of Amsterdam.
No wonder, that during the day long waiting lines grow at the entrance.
So, get up early and be there at 9AM sharp (or visit in the early evening hours).
BTW Anne Frank's real house before her family moved to the Achterhuis hideout is located at the Merwedeplein.
There are separate bicycle roads; these are NO WALKWAYS. On the other hand, Bikes will be everywhere on the walkways.
If you rent a bicycle be sure to include at least an additional heavy chain lock. And when you want to park at the Centraal Station, obey the parking rules!
Most of the smaller interconnecting streets are dedicated to bicycles! Please walk on the sidewalks.
A near miss
The Amsterdam Trams (public transport streetcars) are great to use, but they travel through some narrow crowded streets too (Leidsestraat, Reguliers Breestraat). So, get customized to look out for tracks and fast trams crossing (when you are crossing the street).
There are Pickpockets! (also in the public transportation).
In the main shopping streets you are warned (see picture).
The top 5 pickpocket trics:
1) Cover. You will be surrounded by a group to cover the crime, using newspapers, coats etc. to cover the actual happening.
2) Broken glasses. Somebody drops glasses on the ground and steps on it. You will be accused and in the events that follow you will be pick-pocketed.
3) Back-to-Back. Very popular in Hamburger restaurants. While your coat is hanging on your chair and you finally start enjoying your food, the person that sits back-to-back with you starts his search.
4) Stain. Somebody stains your coat and offers to clean it. The moment you give your coat away..... well you get the picture.
5) Peeking at the ATM. Cover the keyboard when you punch in your pincode.
Besides these 5 there were cases people personating as fake policeman and asking for pasports and more.
Recent Amsterdam crimes map
A safer Amsterdam
Other Contact: Crime report line: 0800-7000
Phone: 112 (Alarm) or 0900-8844
Construction works at the East side of the station
Around the Central Train Station works are in progress.
A new busstation will be build at the North side of the building with a pedestrian area at ground level and a motorway underneath.
Furthermore new metro and (high speed) train tracks are under construction.
The metro works needs digging and the train works need overpasses to be build.
At times expect heavy construction works going on. It's is well planned, but may confilct with your plans at times.
Amsterdam has a strict and expensive parking control. If you haven't payed your ticket or have parked your car at the wrong spot, you end up with DE WIELKLEM. Removing cost a lot of money and retrieving your car once it has been towed away cost even more!
2008 Update: From January 1, 2009 the parking police will not use the "wielklem" anymore. It was not friendly enough for foreign visitors.
If you get in trouble despite all the WARNINGS I gave you, look for Oom Agent (Uncle Policeman). This one is guarding the Dam Square.
And don't cycle at pedestrain areas or walkways!
Other Contact: 112 for emergencies only
In Amsterdam you can buy "vitamin"-pills, smoke hash, go into the RLD, get drunk and more.....
It's up to you; I rather stay healthy.
For your information: the next list indicaties the likelyhood of trouble vs. cause:
1 - Spacecake (Many tourist confuse this with "normal" cake)
2 - Mushrooms (The strong [negative] effects are not well-known to many)
3 - Cannabis/Soft drugs (Overdosis is a likely cause of trouble)
4 - GHB/XTC (Pills are related to dance parties, but sometimes they are used to seduce victims. Keep an eye on your drink in an unfamiliar place!)
5 - Cocaine/Heroine (only in the illegal circuit and always good for trouble)
6 - Alcohol (Dutch beers contain more alcohol than US ones and drinking too much ...)
The Amsterdam pigeons are quiet impudent. The moment you leave your food unattented count for a pigeon attack.
More Reviews (499)
- See All Merchandise with a WOW factor
- See All Brooklyn at the NDSM
- See All Ethiopian food
- See All Herman Heijermans statue
- See All Schapenburgerpad
- See All Eurolines bus
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 515 Reviews
- 1,574 Photos
- 3,752 Forum posts
- 171 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Silly questions."
- Commented on one of Bilimari's Amsterdam tips
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "VT-Meeting June 15, 2013. Steve & Kate in town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "VT-Meeting June 15, 2013. Steve & Kate in town"
- Wrote a Review Merchandise with a WOW factor in Amsterdam Shopping
- Commented on the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport , Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1574)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 515 reviews, 1571 photos, 31 travelogues
- London Intro, 166 reviews, 821 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 164 reviews, 433 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (213)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do