Amsterdam Favorite Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Favorites: 968 reviews and 1,078 photos
Where to go at Amsterdam?
Favorite thing: 2013 24H Events
City counsel-page with interactive streetmap.
Amsterdam Tourist Board.
Amsterdam events and more
Monuments & Archelogy
Museums at the canals
Latest news presented on the Amsterdam map
WEATHER averages, More weather
Amsterdam events of the coming week
Access to Amsterdam Parking, Road closures etc.
Hot links and discounts
Trendy info; muntthee
A walk in the old city
Amsterdam Communication Channels or Citysite with interactive picture tour.
Amsterdam in 360 degrees
Great Amsterdam pictures
Go where the locals go
None VT Amsterdam meetings
Urban Home & Garden Tour
Fondest memory: More links:
25,000 Amsterdam FAQ's in AlphaBetical order
Spotted-by-locals: Experience Amsterdam like a local
Expat meeting point Amsterdam
Coffeeshops map and Coffeeshop pictures
Red Light Districht information
More RLD info
Amsterdam Centraal, Downtown news in Dutch.
Special organised private tours
Typical Amsterdam info (Dutch only)
Not fond at all: Recent crimes
Tourist Office at track 2B of the Central Station
Favorite thing: The Amsterdam Tourist Offices can be found at:
-The Central Train Station (Stationsplein 15 at track 2B)
-The Koffiehuis in front of the Central Train Station (Stationsplein 10)
-Leidsestraat (corner with Leidseplein)
Amsterdam website of the Dutch Tourist Board or the Tourism & Convention Board
Major downtown attractions in one view
Downloadable flyers for your first visit
Fondest memory: Daytrips to attractions within one hour travel around Amsterdam.
Favorite thing: I recommend you explore Amsterdam by foot.
Any trip along the canals will you take along interesting places. Don't forget the alleys and the connecting streets between the canals; a lot of hidden shops and small businesses can be found just there.
Fondest memory: My favorites: Brouwersgracht, Noordermarkt, Elandsgracht, The nine little streets and the Kerkstraat.
Favorite thing: Kokadorus, aka Meier Linnewiel was a famous Amsterdam street market merchant, selling cloths and other stuff at the Amstelveld square. He became famous from the nonsense sales talks he held, not only on the street markets but at parties and festivals too. He claimed to be the Merchant of Northern Venice.
Since 1977 there's a statue at the Amstelveld; his beloved monday selling location.
Amsterdam Police Headquarter
Favorite thing: The Amsterdam Police Headquarter is located at the Elandsgracht 117.
The imposant figures on the frontwall are famous as is the words around them: "’T GEZAG DAT RUST BEHOEDT IN STAD EN STAAT, WAAKT RUSTLOOS TEGEN ’D ONRUST VAN HET KWAAD".
The police corps Amsterdam-Amstelland guards Amsterdam, Amstelveen, Diemen, Uithoorn and Ouder-Amstel, an area of 357 square meters where 900.000 people live.
The corps has about 6000 policemen with a yearly budget of 400 million Euros.
There also is a police post at track2 of the Centraal Station.
Homomonument - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The Amsterdam Homomonument called Past, Present and Future consists of three stone triangles on the Westerkerk square; one is located at the Keizersgracht.
The monument was designed by Karin Daan and dates from 1987.
-Commemorates all women and men ever oppressed and persuated because of their homosexuality
-Supports the Intenational Lesbiann and Gay Movement in their struggle against contempt, discremination and oppression
-Demonstrates that we are not alone
Calls for permanent vigilance
At the nearby Westermarkt 9 you'll find Pink Point. a small Gay information center.
Favorite thing: The new central location of the Amsterdam Public Library (OBA) openend in July 2007 in a 10 floor building designed by architect Jo Coenen.
It's the biggest library building of the Netherlands.
It's located at the Oosterdokskade 143 - 1011 DL Amsterdam at a 5 minutes walk East of the Central Train Station.
All floors have special corners and seats & sofas for reading comfort. Many of them offer a great lookoff of the Oosterdok and Amsterdam's old city center.
Basement - Children's corner
Ground floor - Entrance, reception & Toilets + newspapers & magazines + reading café
First floor - Multi media, CD & DVD
Second floor - Novels
Third floor - Travel & history
Fourth floor - Art & Music
Fifth floor - Health + study rooms
Sixth floor Philosophy & Social work
Seventh floor - Theater + La Place restaurant
50 Multi media work stations, 110 terminals to explore the collection.
11 print & copy stations.
On the top floor is a small terrace with a spectacular view over the Oosterdok and the old city center and a big inside restaurant.
Opening hours: 7 days per week 10AM - 10PM
Membership for 1 year:
0 - 19 yr free
19 - 22 yr € 14,50
23 - 64 yr € 24,00
From 65 yr € 14,50
Surcharge for CD, DVD, CR-Rom and Video € 1,00 per item for maximum 1 week.Garage: 1200 cars and 2000 bicycles
Fondest memory: Looking out over the Oosterdok from the top floor.
Favorite thing: One remark I got from a visitor from abroad was that he was unable to locate a post office downtown.
Things have changed over the years. The former Head Office behind the Royal Palace has been transformed into the Magna Plaza shopping Center and the distribution center at the Central Station has lost its function, because all mail is distributed by road.
The former PTT was split up into private post and telephone companies. The post is now handled by TNT.
Post facilities are often an integral part in a book- or cigarette shop and not always easy to identify from the outside.
Here are the downtown post shops:
Favorite thing: In the Oosterpark there's a statue called "De Titaantjes" after a title of a 1918 book by writer Nescio aka Jan Hendrik Frederik Grönloh (June 22, 1882 till July 25, 1961).
Favorite thing: The slavery monument is placed in the Oosterpark in 2002; at that year is was 140 years ago the slavery was ended.
More info; see: Slavernij monument website
More Reviews (487)
- See All Piano playing at the Central Station
- See All Sleeping in a dockyard crane
- See All Levend Paarden Museum
- See All Night buses and buses to/from Schiphol
- See All Café De Hartjes
- See All Former cinema; now house club
- See All Merchandise with a WOW factor
- See All Swimming - De Mirandabad
- See All Vintage VouDou Records
- See All Do not drink canal water
- See All Floating trap
Been to Amsterdam?Share your travels with the world!
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 536 Reviews
- 1,642 Photos
- 3,826 Forum posts
- 172 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Music lovers game!"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "Even more Amsterdam reflected on Record Covers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Even more Amsterdam reflected on Record Covers"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Amsterdam tips
- Wrote a Review Piano playing at the Central Station about Street Performers in Amsterdam Local Customs
- Commented on the Driving & Parking, Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1642)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 536 reviews, 1639 photos, 33 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 183 reviews, 476 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 145 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 192 Reviews, 314 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 213 Reviews, 359 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 68 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Dam Square- 90 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 168 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Coffee(Cannabis)shops- 124 Reviews, 134 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do