Amsterdam Favorite Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Favorites: 972 reviews and 1,087 photos
Favorite thing: At the Karthuizerstraat 11 through 19 in the Jordaan city quarters you find four adjacent houses with a neck gable. The buildings date from 1737 and have the names of the four seasons on top: LENTE, ZOMER, HERFST and WINTER.
At the Amstel river, close to the Mint Tower
Favorite thing: When in center city you can encounter the nicest old man-made constructions.
But you have to be open to them!
Drop & Go - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Drop & Go is a small business that started in 2014.
The storage is located at: Nieuwe Nieuwstraat 14 - 1012 NH Amsterdam at 10 minutes walking from the Central Train Station.
It's a good option to store your stuff when the lockers at the station are not available.
Daily: 8AM - 11PM
Tariffs for 24 hour storage:
-Euro 4 hand luggage
-Euro 7 suitcase
-Euro 10 extra large items
Majoor Bosshardt statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Majoor Bosshardt was a well known Salvation Army worker. Born as Alida Margaretha Bosshardt at Utrecht in 1913, she did a lot for the Amsterdam prostitutes at the Red Light District.
No wonder a bench with her statue can be found opposite the local Salvation Army Goodwill center at the Oudezijds Voorburgwal 14, the house where she has lived untill her dead in 2007.
A second statue of her can be found inside Hotel Krasnapolsky at the Dam square at the entrance of the Winter Garden.
Herman Heijermans statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The Herman Heijermans statue is located in the Leidsebosje, a small park just South of the Leidseplein square. It's mad by sculptor Joseph Mendes da Costa in 1929.
Herman Heijermans was a writer of plays and small stories.
The first statue was placed in the Vondelpark, but was the subject of much debate and vandalism. In 1934 the statue was badly damaged and a second statue had to be made. This one was placed at the Leidsebosje in 1935, but was removed in 1940, again due to vandalism.
After WWII two efforts were necessary to repair the statue and since 1964 it returned to the Leidsebosje.
Arthur van Schendel statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The statue of the Dutch writer Arthur van Schendel is located at the Leidsebosje, a small park across the canal SW of the Leidseplein square.
Arthur François Emile van Schendel was born at Batavia (Jakarta) at March 5,1874 and died at Amsterdam on September 11, 1946.
After his early year in Indonesia, where his father was a Lutenant-Colonel in the Dutch army, he followed the school of arts at Amsterdam. For a time he teached in the UK and later went to Italy.
His son was the general manager of the Rijksmuseum.
The statue was made by Jobs Wertheim.
Koningsplein webcam - Amsterdam
Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: I hope it will never happen to you, but in the unlikely case you loose something at Amsterdam here are some addresses to inquire at:
-Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen
Lost and Found Office of the City of Amsterdam
Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 52 - 1017 RC Amsterdam
Business hours: Mo-Fr: 9AM - 4PM
-Lost and Found GVB (Public Tansport Amsterdam)
Arlandaweg 100 - 1043 HP Amsterdam (near the Sloterdijk Station)
Business hours: Mo-Fr: 9AM - 6PM
-Lost and Found NS (Dutch Railways)
-Lost and Found Schiphol Airport.
PC Hooft statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft (PC Hooft in short) was a Dutch writer and historian.
He lived from 1581 to 1647. He lived for 40 years at the Muiderslot castle, just East of Amsterdam.
His statue is located at a small square at the Stadhouderskade at the North side of the posh Amsterdam shopping street named after him%L8.
The sculpture is made by Frits Sieger and revealed in 1947, 300 years after Hooft died.
Favorite thing: In the old center of Amsterdam many houses have gable stones, that will tell a story about the original house owner. The stories can be trade related or displaying a bible story.
More Reviews (497)
- See All Second hand gramophone records
- See All Snackbar in the West
- See All Cinema from yesteryears
- See All Piano playing at the Central Station
- See All Sleeping in a dockyard crane
- See All Levend Paarden Museum
- See All Night buses and buses to/from Schiphol
- See All Swimming - De Mirandabad
- See All Vintage VouDou Records
- See All Do not drink canal water
- See All Floating trap
Been to Amsterdam?Share your travels with the world!
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 547 Reviews
- 1,684 Photos
- 3,881 Forum posts
- 172 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Time and money for europe trip"
- Uploaded a Photo to "HOISTING BEAMS"
- Wrote a Review Second hand gramophone records in Amsterdam Shopping
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam tips
- Commented on the Driving & Parking, Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1684)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 547 reviews, 1681 photos, 36 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 191 reviews, 501 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 466 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 147 Reviews, 167 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 195 Reviews, 316 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Dam Square- 91 Reviews, 168 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 214 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 168 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 69 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Coffee(Cannabis)shops- 125 Reviews, 136 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do