Amsterdam Favorite Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Favorites: 965 reviews and 1,072 photos
Herman Heijermans statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The Herman Heijermans statue is located in the Leidsebosje, a small park just South of the Leidseplein square. It's mad by sculptor Joseph Mendes da Costa in 1929.
Herman Heijermans was a writer of plays and small stories.
The first statue was placed in the Vondelpark, but was the subject of much debate and vandalism. In 1934 the statue was badly damaged and a second statue had to be made. This one was placed at the Leidsebosje in 1935, but was removed in 1940, again due to vandalism.
After WWII two efforts were necessary to repair the statue and since 1964 it returned to the Leidsebosje.
Arthur van Schendel statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The statue of the Dutch writer Arthur van Schendel is located at the Leidsebosje, a small park across the canal SW of the Leidseplein square.
Arthur François Emile van Schendel was born at Batavia (Jakarta) at March 5,1874 and died at Amsterdam on September 11, 1946.
After his early year in Indonesia, where his father was a Lutenant-Colonel in the Dutch army, he followed the school of arts at Amsterdam. For a time he teached in the UK and later went to Italy.
His son was the general manager of the Rijksmuseum.
The statue was made by Jobs Wertheim.
Koningsplein webcam - Amsterdam
Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: I hope it will never happen to you, but in the unlikely case you loose something at Amsterdam here are some addresses to inquire at:
-Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen
Lost and Found Office of the City of Amsterdam
Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 52 - 1017 RC Amsterdam
Business hours: Mo-Fr: 9AM - 4PM
-Lost and Found GVB (Public Tansport Amsterdam)
Arlandaweg 100 - 1043 HP Amsterdam (near the Sloterdijk Station)
Business hours: Mo-Fr: 9AM - 6PM
-Lost and Found NS (Dutch Railways)
-Lost and Found Schiphol Airport.
PC Hooft statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft (PC Hooft in short) was a Dutch writer and historian.
He lived from 1581 to 1647. He lived for 40 years at the Muiderslot castle, just East of Amsterdam.
His statue is located at a small square at the Stadhouderskade at the North side of the posh Amsterdam shopping street named after him%L8.
The sculpture is made by Frits Sieger and revealed in 1947, 300 years after Hooft died.
Favorite thing: In the old center of Amsterdam many houses have gable stones, that will tell a story about the original house owner. The stories can be trade related or displaying a bible story.
De Grenspaal - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The most remarkable, uglyiest and and eye catching monument is located at the Jodenbreestraat.
Its official name is "Grenspaal" and it was made by Hans ’t Mannetje in 1986.
The monument is also known as the "Zuildragende schildpad" (Pillar carrying turtle) or the Monument of Jacob Israël de Haan.
It is located on the spot where a planned highway ends. The plans for the highway changed after much debate.
The monument has three text areas with the following Dutch writings:
"Tot hier verdween het oude stadspatroon
van hier begon de stadsvernieuwing in deze buurt
ter herinnering werd dit gedenkteken opgericht."
"Die te Amsterdam vaak zei: 'Jeruzalem'
en naar Jeruzalem gedreven kwam,
Hij zegt met mijmerende stem
"De tijd kruipt met het bouwwerk heen, van hier, vandaar rest soms een steen."
ATM at the Centraal Station
Favorite thing: ATM's are widely spread at Amsterdam, You will find them at stations, major shopping streets (at banks and inside some shops), supermarkets and shopping malls.
Before using check if the machine will accept your credit- or bank card.
Woutertje Pieterse and Femke - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: At the Noordermarkt, corner Prinsengracht there is a sculpture of Woutertje Pieterse and Femke made in 1971 by sculpture Frits Sieger. It's a scene from a book by Multatuli.
Where to go at Amsterdam?
Favorite thing: 2013 24H Events
City counsel-page with interactive streetmap.
Amsterdam Tourist Board.
Amsterdam events and more
Monuments & Archelogy
Museums at the canals
Latest news presented on the Amsterdam map
WEATHER averages, More weather
Amsterdam events of the coming week
Access to Amsterdam Parking, Road closures etc.
Hot links and discounts
Trendy info; muntthee
A walk in the old city
Amsterdam Communication Channels or Citysite with interactive picture tour.
Amsterdam in 360 degrees
Great Amsterdam pictures
Go where the locals go
None VT Amsterdam meetings
Urban Home & Garden Tour
Fondest memory: More links:
25,000 Amsterdam FAQ's in AlphaBetical order
Spotted-by-locals: Experience Amsterdam like a local
Expat meeting point Amsterdam
Coffeeshops map and Coffeeshop pictures
Red Light Districht information
More RLD info
Amsterdam Centraal, Downtown news in Dutch.
Special organised private tours
Typical Amsterdam info (Dutch only)
Not fond at all: Recent crimes
More Reviews (467)
- See All Canal Luxury
- See All Ethiopian food
- See All Just bathrobes
- See All Schapenburgerpad
- See All Eurolines bus
- See All Swimming - De Mirandabad
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 513 Reviews
- 1,561 Photos
- 3,723 Forum posts
- 171 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Wrote a Review Canal Luxury in Amsterdam Hotels
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Posted in Travel Salou Forum "Re: segway hire/tour"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ethiopian food"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Amsterdam tips
- Commented on the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport , Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1561)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 512 reviews, 1558 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 159 reviews, 423 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do