Amsterdam Favorite Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Favorites: 994 reviews and 1,165 photos
Where to go at Amsterdam?
Favorite thing: 2013 24H Events
City counsel-page with interactive streetmap.
Amsterdam Tourist Board.
Amsterdam events and more
Monuments & Archelogy
Museums at the canals
Latest news presented on the Amsterdam map
WEATHER averages, More weather
Amsterdam events of the coming week
Access to Amsterdam Parking, Road closures etc.
Hot links and discounts
Trendy info; muntthee
A walk in the old city
Amsterdam Communication Channels or Citysite with interactive picture tour.
Amsterdam in 360 degrees
Great Amsterdam pictures
Go where the locals go
None VT Amsterdam meetings
Urban Home & Garden Tour
Fondest memory: More links:
25,000 Amsterdam FAQ's in AlphaBetical order
Spotted-by-locals: Experience Amsterdam like a local
Expat meeting point Amsterdam
Coffeeshops map and Coffeeshop pictures
Red Light Districht information
More RLD info
Amsterdam Centraal, Downtown news in Dutch.
Special organised private tours
Typical Amsterdam info (Dutch only)
Not fond at all: Recent crimes
Vrouw met Stola - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The statue of the Vrouw met Stola (Lady with a scarf) is made by Pieter d' Hont in 1977.
It's located at the North side of the Singel canal facing the Spui square.
If was a gift to the city of Amsterdam after an expotion of sculptures in 1977.
Centraal Station Luggage Lockers
Favorite thing: The Amsterdam Centraal Station has many luggage lockers.
There are two sizes available:
-Small: 90cm deep, 45cm high en 40cm wide.
-Big: 90cm deep, 60cm high en 40cm wide.
The main storage is at the city side in the East corridor.
There's a clear explanation in English how to operate and pay (ViSA, MASTER or MAESTRO card) for the storage.
Be aware that the system only handles 1 storage per payment; so you cannot add or take out things during the rental period.
Downloadable map of the station.
Wasserij Sneeuwwit - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Wasserij Sneeuwwit is a cleaner in the heart of the canal belt at the Oude Leliestraat 11 - 1016 BD Amsterdam; telephone +31-20-6240549.
It's a well managed family business that started in 1939.
They offer same day service.
Februari staking - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The Februari staking or February strike was a major fact during the German occupation of Amsterdam in the Second World War. The cause was the first razzia im Amsterdam where 427 Jews were arrested. In the year before many smaller conflicts between fascists and people who opposed them lead to more and more violence.
The forbidden communist party held a public meeting on the evening of February 24, 1941 and the next two days the Februari staking was a fact and spread to other industrial cities like Haarlem and Utrecht.
It was a public Dutch protest against the deportation of Jews.
Each year the staking is remembered with a silent walk and a gathering at the Dokwerker statue at the Jonas Daniël Meijerplein.
At the Noorderkerkplein, the square where the strike had been organised are inscripted remembrance plates.
Another remembrance place is the Nooit meer Auschwitz monument.
Theo Thijssen monument - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Theo Thijssen was a writer and schoolteacher born in the Jordaan city quarter. He played an important role in changing the traditional way of teaching in the elementary school.
The statue show Theo with one of his pupils. The sculpture was made by Hans Bayens.
It was revealed by mayor Wim Polak on June 16, 1979, the 100th Birthday of Theo Thijssen.
The statue is located at the Lindengracht in front of the Thijssen Café.
Wassalon 't Ruime Sop - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Wassalon 't Ruime Sop is a clothing cleaning business and repair shop.
You find them in the Tweede Lindendwarsstraat 19 in the Jordaan city quarter.
Mo: 8:30AM - 6PM
Tu-Th: 8:30AM - 5Pm
Fr: 8:30AM - 6M
Sa: 9AM - 1PM
Multatuli statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: At "de Torensluis" across "het Singel" canal is a statue of Multatuli a.k.a. Eduard Douwes Dekker, author of the famous Dutch book Max Havelaar (1860). Eduard Douwes Dekker and he was a civil worker in the former Dutch East Indies colony.
In 1987 the statue made by Hans Bayens, was inaugurated by Queen Beatrix.
OBA Library Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The new central location of the Amsterdam Public Library (OBA) openend in July 2007 in a 10 floor building designed by architect Jo Coenen.
It's the biggest library building of the Netherlands.
It's located at the Oosterdokskade 143 - 1011 DL Amsterdam at a 5 minutes walk East of the Central Train Station.
All floors have special corners and seats & sofas for reading comfort. Many of them offer a great lookoff of the Oosterdok and Amsterdam's old city center.
Basement - Children's corner
Ground floor - Entrance, reception & Toilets + newspapers & magazines + reading café
First floor - Multi media, CD & DVD
Second floor - Novels
Third floor - Travel & history
Fourth floor - Art & Music
Fifth floor - Health + study rooms
Sixth floor Philosophy & Social work
Seventh floor - Theater + La Place restaurant
50 Multi media work stations, 110 terminals to explore the collection.
11 print & copy stations.
On the top floor is a small terrace with a spectacular view over the Oosterdok and the old city center and a big inside restaurant.
Opening hours: 7 days per week 10AM - 10PM
Membership for 1 year:
0 - 19 yr free
19 - 22 yr € 14,50
23 - 64 yr € 24,00
From 65 yr € 14,50
Surcharge for CD, DVD, CR-Rom and Video € 1,00 per item for maximum 1 week.
Garage: 1200 cars and 2000 bicycles
Fondest memory: Looking out over the Oosterdok from the top floor.
Players and Supporters statue - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: Players and Supporters is a group of 4 statues of children playing foorball.
It's made in brons by sculpture Hartmut Wilkening.
It was erected in 2005 after a renovation of the area at the ferry dock of the Buiksloterweg.
More Reviews (597)
- See All Ripley's Believe It Or Not
- See All Eurotrans
- See All At the NDSM
- See All Former shipyard buildings
- See All Popular hotel for visitors travelling by...
- See All Signs of the tradesmen
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 655 Reviews
- 1,953 Photos
- 3,909 Forum posts
- 173 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Vergistoeristen"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "Amsterdam reflected on Record Covers; Part 7"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Amsterdam reflected on Record Covers; Part 7"
- Wrote a Review Ripley's Believe It Or Not in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam tips
- Commented on the Driving & Parking, Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1953)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1951 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 620 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 199 reviews, 540 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 533 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 151 Reviews, 181 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 198 Reviews, 325 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 242 Reviews, 254 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Dam Square- 92 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 168 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 69 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 214 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Madame Tussaud's- 62 Reviews, 124 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do