Amsterdam Favorite Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Favorites: 955 reviews and 1,055 photos
Chinese Beauty Massage - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: In the center of Amsterdam you find many Chinese businesses, not limited to the Chinese quarter.
Chinese Massage is one of those businesses and they might differ from one to the other.
Chinese Beauty Massage at the Gravenstraat 28 (behind the Nieuwe Kerk at the Dam square) is one of them.
NIOD - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: The NIOD or the Nederlands Instituut voor oorlogs-, holocaust- en genocidestudies Documentatiecentrum (Dutch Institute for war-, holocaust-and genocide studies) is housed in beautiful canal house at the Herengracht 380 build for Jacobus Nienhuys, a tobacco planter in 1890. A fire damaged the adjacent house, that was bought by Jacobus to create a wider house with an entrance for a horse drawn carriage.
From 1909 the house became the head office for the branch of the Deutsche Bank and a local office of the Finance Ministerie.
Rembrandtplein - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: In 2005 the central statue of Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn (born at the city of Leiden) at the Rembrandplein square got company of a new series of statues, called Nachtwacht in 3D (three dimensional Night Watch).
The statue of Rembrandt was made by Louis Royer in 1852. The new Night Watch group of statues was made by the Russian artists Alexander Taratynov and Mikhail Dronov.
It's meade after Rembrandt's most famous painting, official called De compagnie van kapitein Frans Banning Cocq en luitenant Willem van Ruytenburgh maakt zich gereed om uit te marcheren.
Favorite thing: Amsterdam slowly is transforming into a greener canal belt.
The canal boats will be transformed into electrical boats with no exhaust fumes.
The goal is to get a 40% CO2-emissieon reduction in 2025
Also in the newest canal houses renovation projects; green is the startpoint.
During the 2013 Heritage days I visited the pilot project at the Nieuwe Prinsengracht 43-53, where a series of historic canal houses was being renovated and turned into energy label A buildings.
The following things are being implemented:
-Solar panels n the roofs
-Plants on the roofs
-Warm water heat storage
-Outside air warmth extraction
-Central air condition with heat storage
-Isolation of floor, walls and roofs
-High rendement heater
More information at the website www.degroenegrachten.nl.
Waterhapper - Amsterdam
Favorite thing: I was surprised to encounter a potable water fountain at the Amstelveld.
Well, I know these cast iron fountain poles from my youth, but it seemed they disppeared from the Amsterdam streets.
The first fountain was placed in 1903, but in 2003 all the ones in the inner city were gone.
Luckely a number of fountains are back again after an alderman took action.
Locally the poles are known as "waterhapper".
Amsterdam potable water fountain map.
Be aware that some will be removed when Winter comes.
Amsterdam Police Headquarter
Favorite thing: The Amsterdam Police Headquarter is located at the Elandsgracht 117.
The imposant figures on the frontwall are famous as is the words around them: "’T GEZAG DAT RUST BEHOEDT IN STAD EN STAAT, WAAKT RUSTLOOS TEGEN ’D ONRUST VAN HET KWAAD".
The police corps Amsterdam-Amstelland guards Amsterdam, Amstelveen, Diemen, Uithoorn and Ouder-Amstel, an area of 357 square meters where 900.000 people live.
The corps has about 6000 policemen with a yearly budget of 400 million Euros.
There also is a police post at track2 of the Centraal Station.
GWK Amsterdam Centraal Station
Favorite thing: GWK (Grens Wissel Kantoor) is one of the oldest and reliable currency exchanges bureaus in the Netherlands. Most major train stations have a branch.
These are the Amsterdam locations:
-Stationsplein 1 (Amsterdam Centraal station-West pedestrian tunnel)
-Orlyplein 107 (Amsterdam Sloterdijk station)
-1e van der Helststraat 39
-Van Woustraat 60
-Bos en Lommerweg 260
Favorite thing: The new central location of the Amsterdam Public Library (OBA) openend in July 2007 in a 10 floor building designed by architect Jo Coenen.
It's the biggest library building of the Netherlands.
It's located at the Oosterdokskade 143 - 1011 DL Amsterdam at a 5 minutes walk East of the Central Train Station.
All floors have special corners and seats & sofas for reading comfort. Many of them offer a great lookoff of the Oosterdok and Amsterdam's old city center.
Basement - Children's corner
Ground floor - Entrance, reception & Toilets + newspapers & magazines + reading café
First floor - Multi media, CD & DVD
Second floor - Novels
Third floor - Travel & history
Fourth floor - Art & Music
Fifth floor - Health + study rooms
Sixth floor Philosophy & Social work
Seventh floor - Theater + La Place restaurant
50 Multi media work stations, 110 terminals to explore the collection.
11 print & copy stations.
On the top floor is a small terrace with a spectacular view over the Oosterdok and the old city center and a big inside restaurant.
Opening hours: 7 days per week 10AM - 10PM
Membership for 1 year:
0 - 19 yr free
19 - 22 yr € 14,50
23 - 64 yr € 24,00
From 65 yr € 14,50
Surcharge for CD, DVD, CR-Rom and Video € 1,00 per item for maximum 1 week.Garage: 1200 cars and 2000 bicycles
Fondest memory: Looking out over the Oosterdok from the top floor.
Braille Rail at the Central Station
Favorite thing: Amsterdam is a crowded city with cobblestone pavement at certain places.
Lucky more and more improvements are made to aid visual handicapped people, like beeping traffic lights, guiding pavement and more.
The latest I saw where braille rails along the steps at the Central Station
Koningsplein webcam - Amsterdam
More Reviews (419)
- See All Former broadcasting ship
- See All Yab Yum Unlocked
- See All City Centre Hotel
- See All Diving gear
- See All HOISTING BEAMS
- See All Hopper - The electric Scooter Taxi
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kos Island
- Antigua and Barbuda Hotels
- Porto Ercole
- Bau Hotels
- Penwood State Park Hotels
- Penzance Hotels
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 458 Reviews
- 1,395 Photos
- 3,670 Forum posts
- 179 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Former broadcasting ship"
- Wrote a Review Former broadcasting ship about Veronica Schip in Amsterdam Restaurants
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "Amsterdam reflected on Record Covers"
- Commented on one of CherryWaves's Amsterdam tips
- Commented on the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport , Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1395)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 458 reviews, 1392 photos, 28 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 151 reviews, 395 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews
- Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark
- 262 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Estherea Hotel
- 1456 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel Prins Hendrik
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Amsterdam American Hotel
- 819 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- DownTown Hotel
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Chic & Basic Amsterdam
- 283 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam
- 670 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Vita Nova
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Funky Chickin
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Thorbecke Hotel
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Paganini Hotel Amsterdam
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Monopole & Apartments
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- B&B Boat Friesland
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Old City Amsterdam Bed & Breakfast
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 143 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 208 Reviews, 342 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 165 Reviews, 174 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 65 Reviews, 101 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do