"MY BIRTHPLACE" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by pieter_jan_v
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,236 reviews and 21,450 photos
Amsterdam is the city were I was born in 1953. I still come there on my searchtrips for records, to go to VT-meetings or to visit my family.
On the picture above you can see the whole city including the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (thanks to aerophoto-schiphol.nl).
Visit my SCHIPHOL page to get detailed info on AMSTERDAM AIRPORT.
On the picture on the left you see the Central Station surroundings map. Most Amsterdam visitors start here.
I am the Amsterdam Tip Grouper at VT. So, if you build an Amsterdam-page be aware I will check it and in some cases do some grouping corrections or send you an email when I find errors or outdated info. Just to improve quality. Please add info on not-published locations.
I like to take you on a alternative shopping tour in the centre of town. We start from the Central Train Station. Please go to OFF THE BEATEN PATH.
You have to walk all the canals which are constructed as half rings around the city center. They are clearly visible on the picture.
If you want to take a Virtual tour from the Amsterdam Central Station into the city start HERE.
There's more Amsterdam at my Vondelpark page.
Why is Amsterdam also called "Mokum"? Mokum is derived from the Hebrew word Makom, meaning city. The Jewish diamant traders used a hebrew "code" in their business talks to name the cities they were travelling to. In this way their travel destination stayed secure and the risk of a planned robbery was decreased. Amsterdam was coded Makom Allif, what was shortened to the popular Mokum through the Ages.
Average Amsterdam figures:
800.000 inhabitants (as from December 1, 2012)
600,000 flower bulbs in parks and public gardens
232 city trams
1 Flower Market
165 antique shops
24 diamond-polishing factories
8 wooden drawbridges
1 Skinny Bridge
110 glass-topped canal boats
6,800 6th, 17th and 18th century buildings
654 stone gables
1 Royal Palace
302 statues and sculptures
141 art galleries
22 Rembrandt paintings
206 Van Gogh paintings
1 Civic Guard Gallery
140 wax statues at Madame Tussaud
6,100 animals at the Artis Zoo
4 barrel organs
42 historical church organs
16,000 concerts and theatrical performances
40 concerts and theatrical performances per day
55 theaters and concert halls
1 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
1 Muziektheater (musical theater)
1,402 cafe's and bars
12 5-Stars Hotels
48.365 hotelbeds (2011)
5 camping sites
About 15.000.000 anual bed nights by tourists
15.854.000 day visitors
Destinations In & Around Amsterdam in the VT-database:
-Ouderkerk aan de Amstel
-Het Nieuwe Meer
- Pros:Just come and enjoy
- Cons:Too crowded at times
- In a nutshell:Big City!!!
The Brooklyn hotel opened in March 2014 on the grounds of the former NDSM Shipyard. It's a 4 star boutique hotel with 7... more travel advice
Siriphon is a small, but cozy Thai restaurant. Business hours: Mo: 4PM - 10PM Tu: Closed We-Su: 4PM - 10PM more travel advice
- See All Herman Heijermans statue
- See All Schapenburgerpad
- See All Eurolines bus
- See All Swimming - De Mirandabad
- See All De Duif Church
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 514 Reviews
- 1,564 Photos
- 3,726 Forum posts
- 171 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A broken leg was not our idea..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Train - The Central Station"
- Wrote a Review Brooklyn at the NDSM in Amsterdam Hotels
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Amsterdam tips
- Commented on the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport , Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1564)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 514 reviews, 1561 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 161 reviews, 425 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues