"MY BIRTHPLACE" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by pieter_jan_v
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,354 reviews and 21,751 photos
Amsterdam is the city were I was born in 1953. I still come there on my searchtrips for records, to go to VT-meetings or to visit my family.
On the picture above you can see the whole city including the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (thanks to aerophoto-schiphol.nl).
Visit my SCHIPHOL page to get detailed info on AMSTERDAM AIRPORT.
On the picture on the left you see the Central Station surroundings map. Most Amsterdam visitors start here.
I am the Amsterdam Tip Grouper at VT. So, if you build an Amsterdam-page be aware I will check it and in some cases do some grouping corrections or send you an email when I find errors or outdated info. Just to improve quality. Please add info on not-published locations.
I like to take you on a alternative shopping tour in the centre of town. We start from the Central Train Station. Please go to OFF THE BEATEN PATH.
You have to walk all the canals which are constructed as half rings around the city center. They are clearly visible on the picture.
If you want to take a Virtual tour from the Amsterdam Central Station into the city start HERE.
There's more Amsterdam at my Vondelpark page.
Why is Amsterdam also called "Mokum"? Mokum is derived from the Hebrew word Makom, meaning city. The Jewish diamant traders used a hebrew "code" in their business talks to name the cities they were travelling to. In this way their travel destination stayed secure and the risk of a planned robbery was decreased. Amsterdam was coded Makom Allif, what was shortened to the popular Mokum through the Ages.
Average Amsterdam figures:
800.000 inhabitants (as from December 1, 2012)
600,000 flower bulbs in parks and public gardens
232 city trams
1 Flower Market
165 antique shops
24 diamond-polishing factories
8 wooden drawbridges
1 Skinny Bridge
110 glass-topped canal boats
6,800 6th, 17th and 18th century buildings
654 stone gables
1 Royal Palace
302 statues and sculptures
141 art galleries
22 Rembrandt paintings
206 Van Gogh paintings
1 Civic Guard Gallery
140 wax statues at Madame Tussaud
6,100 animals at the Artis Zoo
4 barrel organs
42 historical church organs
16,000 concerts and theatrical performances
40 concerts and theatrical performances per day
55 theaters and concert halls
1 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
1 Muziektheater (musical theater)
1,402 cafe's and bars
12 5-Stars Hotels
48.365 hotelbeds (2011)
5 camping sites
About 15.000.000 anual bed nights by tourists
15.854.000 day visitors
Destinations In & Around Amsterdam in the VT-database:
-Ouderkerk aan de Amstel
-Het Nieuwe Meer
- Pros:Just come and enjoy
- Cons:Too crowded at times
- In a nutshell:Big City!!!
For public transportation at night (after Midnight) only night bus service is available. The following GVB night buses... more travel advice
If you like to taste some of the finest Dutch Jenevers, visit Proeflokaal De Ooievaar. Besides the Jenvers there are... more travel advice
- See All Sleeping in a dockyard crane
- See All Levend Paarden Museum
- See All Beyond even more Gablestones
- See All Former cinema; now house club
- See All Those hidden architectural gems
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 535 Reviews
- 1,626 Photos
- 3,785 Forum posts
- 171 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: Can you recommend day trips..."
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam tips
- Wrote a Review Sleeping in a dockyard crane in Amsterdam Hotels
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Amsterdam reflected on Record Covers"
- Commented on the Driving & Parking, Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1626)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 535 reviews, 1623 photos, 31 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 172 reviews, 455 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 462 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues