"MY BIRTHPLACE" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by pieter_jan_v

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,236 reviews and 21,450 photos

Amsterdam: Compassion, Resolution & Heroism
Startpoint Amsterdam: Central Station

Amsterdam is the city were I was born in 1953. I still come there on my searchtrips for records, to go to VT-meetings or to visit my family.

On the picture above you can see the whole city including the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (thanks to aerophoto-schiphol.nl).
Visit my SCHIPHOL page to get detailed info on AMSTERDAM AIRPORT.

On the picture on the left you see the Central Station surroundings map. Most Amsterdam visitors start here.

I am the Amsterdam Tip Grouper at VT. So, if you build an Amsterdam-page be aware I will check it and in some cases do some grouping corrections or send you an email when I find errors or outdated info. Just to improve quality. Please add info on not-published locations.

I like to take you on a alternative shopping tour in the centre of town. We start from the Central Train Station. Please go to OFF THE BEATEN PATH.

Aerial view of Center City

You have to walk all the canals which are constructed as half rings around the city center. They are clearly visible on the picture.

If you want to take a Virtual tour from the Amsterdam Central Station into the city start HERE.

There's more Amsterdam at my Vondelpark page.

Why is Amsterdam also called "Mokum"? Mokum is derived from the Hebrew word Makom, meaning city. The Jewish diamant traders used a hebrew "code" in their business talks to name the cities they were travelling to. In this way their travel destination stayed secure and the risk of a planned robbery was decreased. Amsterdam was coded Makom Allif, what was shortened to the popular Mokum through the Ages.

Average Amsterdam figures:

800.000 inhabitants (as from December 1, 2012)
173 nationalities
16,000 concerts and theatrical performan­ces
40 concerts and theatrical performances per day
55 theaters and concert halls
1 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
1 Muziektheater (musical theater)
61 cinemas

-Vuurtoreneiland
-Sloterplas
-Nieuwe Meer
-Bovenkerk

• Pros:Just come and enjoy
  • Cons:Too crowded at times
  • In a nutshell:Big City!!!
  • Last visit to Amsterdam: Apr 2014
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2014

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Very thorough guide to Amsterdam!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Lots of nice new tips and updates on this big page!

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

In May, the population will be 800.001 when I visit!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Pieter, fantastic and very comprehensive page about Amsterdam here. Just recently we enjoyed a long and sunny October weekend in the city. We especially liked the free ferries across the "Het IJ".

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Holger, You are lucky. Many of Sonja's and your Amsterdam pictures are in several Amsterdam tip picture galleries on the moment. PJ

• 6aruna's Profile Photo
      Aug 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Wish you were around and I knew VT when I visited Amsterdam ten years back.Nostalgic makes me want to go back.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Wow. This is by far the largest page I have ever come across here on VT, it is double the size of my Reykjavík page. Kudos to you.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Very useful tips for my upcoming 3rd visit - thank you!
    I'll have to come again next year because the Rijksmuseum is only partially open. But no problem - I love my yearly trips to Amsterdam, always hoping to catch one of the Dulfers playing at Cafe Alto. Cheers! :o)

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Thanks for your in dept visit. I always re-check those visited tips and correct bad links, typos etc. Found 1. Thanks. BTW Next year I want to go with member breughel to the Rijksmuseum. Maybe we will organise an Amsterdam museum VT meeting. PJ

• Oct 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Great info really helpful I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam in nov for 4 days I will be staying in Sint Willibrordusstraat, Amsterdam is this a good location to see the city? Would really appreciate your help!!!

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I do not suggest you taking a hotel. From the money you save you easily can buy a day card for the Amsterdam public transportation. Or does your cousin includes a bicycle? Closest Restaurant I know: BAZAR - Wereld Eethuis: "World food at the Albert Cuyp" - Bazar - Wereld Eethuis Tip by pieter_jan_v

• Oct 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

A bicycle is not included unfortunately!!! Thank you so much for your advice I was going to stay in the marriot but if you say that Sint Willibrordusstraat isn't to far from the center then I will just save my pennies!!!! And thank you for the Resturant recommendation I will definately be eating there!!! Kind regards x

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Thank you...we could do some shopping and eating!
    Marg

• nyperose's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thank you for excellent Amsterdam tips. No need to buy an Amsterdam guide after having read your pages:-)

Greetings from Lausanne, Ellen

• chocolatecake's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Hi, PJ, may I know how do you 'stretch' your travelogue from 8 pictures to 33 pictures length?!:D Nice warm friendly VT Meet with J :)))

pieter_jan_v

“Are you ready boots? Start Walking (from These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra)”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

• 1,564 Photos
  • 3,726 Forum posts

Have you been to Amsterdam?

Latest Activity in Amsterdam