"MY BIRTHPLACE" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by pieter_jan_v
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,232 reviews and 21,443 photos
Amsterdam is the city were I was born in 1953. I still come there on my searchtrips for records, to go to VT-meetings or to visit my family.
On the picture above you can see the whole city including the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (thanks to aerophoto-schiphol.nl).
Visit my SCHIPHOL page to get detailed info on AMSTERDAM AIRPORT.
On the picture on the left you see the Central Station surroundings map. Most Amsterdam visitors start here.
I am the Amsterdam Tip Grouper at VT. So, if you build an Amsterdam-page be aware I will check it and in some cases do some grouping corrections or send you an email when I find errors or outdated info. Just to improve quality. Please add info on not-published locations.
I like to take you on a alternative shopping tour in the centre of town. We start from the Central Train Station. Please go to OFF THE BEATEN PATH.
You have to walk all the canals which are constructed as half rings around the city center. They are clearly visible on the picture.
If you want to take a Virtual tour from the Amsterdam Central Station into the city start HERE.
There's more Amsterdam at my Vondelpark page.
Why is Amsterdam also called "Mokum"? Mokum is derived from the Hebrew word Makom, meaning city. The Jewish diamant traders used a hebrew "code" in their business talks to name the cities they were travelling to. In this way their travel destination stayed secure and the risk of a planned robbery was decreased. Amsterdam was coded Makom Allif, what was shortened to the popular Mokum through the Ages.
Average Amsterdam figures:
800.000 inhabitants (as from December 1, 2012)
600,000 flower bulbs in parks and public gardens
232 city trams
1 Flower Market
165 antique shops
24 diamond-polishing factories
8 wooden drawbridges
1 Skinny Bridge
110 glass-topped canal boats
6,800 6th, 17th and 18th century buildings
654 stone gables
1 Royal Palace
302 statues and sculptures
141 art galleries
22 Rembrandt paintings
206 Van Gogh paintings
1 Civic Guard Gallery
140 wax statues at Madame Tussaud
6,100 animals at the Artis Zoo
4 barrel organs
42 historical church organs
16,000 concerts and theatrical performances
40 concerts and theatrical performances per day
55 theaters and concert halls
1 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
1 Muziektheater (musical theater)
1,402 cafe's and bars
12 5-Stars Hotels
48.365 hotelbeds (2011)
5 camping sites
About 15.000.000 anual bed nights by tourists
15.854.000 day visitors
Destinations In & Around Amsterdam in the VT-database:
-Ouderkerk aan de Amstel
-Het Nieuwe Meer
- Pros:Just come and enjoy
- Cons:Too crowded at times
- In a nutshell:Big City!!!
Walia Ibex is a small restaurant serving Ethiopian food. more travel advice
De badjassenwinkel specialises in bath robes. They also carry kimono's, Sauna products, Accessories and... more travel advice
- See All Herman Heijermans statue
- See All Schapenburgerpad
- See All Eurolines bus
- See All Swimming - De Mirandabad
- See All De Duif Church
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 512 Reviews
- 1,561 Photos
- 3,723 Forum posts
- 171 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Tel Aviv-Yafo Forum "Re: shopping in tel aviv israel"
- Wrote a Review Ethiopian food about Walia Ibex - Ethiopian restaurant in Amsterdam Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ethiopian food"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Amsterdam tips
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- Commented on the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport , Amsterdam travel guide
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (1561)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 512 reviews, 1558 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 159 reviews, 423 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues