"Bourtange" Bourtange by pieter_jan_v
Bourtange Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 104 photos
Bourtange is located in a former unpassable area of moors. From the city of Groningen in the North there was an important passage to the South following a partly stretch of sand (tange) sticking out of the moors.
In 1580 Pince William of Oranje gave the order to build a fortification.
After the Spanish invaded at 1607 till 1672 the fortress was extended.
Around 1740 Menno van Coehoorn ordered more improvements and extensions. At the Greman border a seperate defence line was made.
Due to cultivation of the moors and newer arms the fortress lost its importance and was sold in 1851.
From 1972 a reconstruction of the old fort was started.
- Pros:Wonderful for a daytrip visit
- In a nutshell:Historical Dutch Fortress
Just a couple of impressions; just go through the pictures. This village is ideal for one or more 'Kodak moments'. The... more travel advice
The fortress was completely surrounded by water. The bridges are draw bridges, that would be opened to seal to fortress.... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Bourtange Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "At the start of the Dutch independance march"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourtange
- Hotels in Bourtange
- Transportation in Bourtange
- Restaurants in Bourtange
- Shopping in Bourtange
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourtange
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourtange
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Bourtange?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourtange
Photos in BourtangeSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1951 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 620 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 199 reviews, 540 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 533 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues