"Bourtange" Bourtange by pieter_jan_v
Bourtange Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 101 photos
Bourtange is located in a former unpassable area of moors. From the city of Groningen in the North there was an important passage to the South following a partly stretch of sand (tange) sticking out of the moors.
In 1580 Pince William of Oranje gave the order to build a fortification.
After the Spanish invaded at 1607 till 1672 the fortress was extended.
Around 1740 Menno van Coehoorn ordered more improvements and extensions. At the Greman border a seperate defence line was made.
Due to cultivation of the moors and newer arms the fortress lost its importance and was sold in 1851.
From 1972 a reconstruction of the old fort was started.
- Pros:Wonderful for a daytrip visit
- In a nutshell:Historical Dutch Fortress
Just a couple of impressions; just go through the pictures. more travel advice
The fortress was completely surrounded by water. more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Bourtange Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "At the start of the Dutch independance march"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourtange
- Hotels in Bourtange
- Transportation in Bourtange
- Restaurants in Bourtange
- Shopping in Bourtange
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourtange
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourtange
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to Bourtange?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourtange
Photos in BourtangeSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 538 reviews, 1644 photos, 34 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 186 reviews, 486 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues