"Ditches, Flowers and a fortress" De Kwakel by pieter_jan_v
De Kwakel Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 61 photos
De Kwakel is a small village with about 4000 inhabitants situated between Uithoorn, Kudelstaart and Aalsmeer.
The village is located at a crossing of an important waterway (the Drecht) and the walkway from Uithoorn to Kudelstaart.
At this crossing a Quakelbrugge was build, a walkway bridge with a high enough passage for the local shipping at around 1600.
A small settlement named Vrouwenakker grew around the bridge.
Around 1890 a fortress was build as a part of the "Stelling van Amsterdam" to protect the Capital. The fortress never saw enemy troops.
De Kwakel stayed a Katholic enclave in the middle of protestant villages.
In the last decades many flower farms with hothouses were started around the village.
- Pros:A unique Dutch spot
- Cons:Tiny with ditches everywhere
- In a nutshell:A must see
This café is a small local bar at De Kwakel named after its owner (and his size). It is housed in a converted row... more travel advice
In 2007 at the Wilgenhof a new Jeu de Boules field was opened. Games are played by the local "De But" team. Jeu de... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
De Kwakel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ditches, Flowers and a fortress"
- "Trying to keep our heads above water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in De Kwakel
- Transportation in De Kwakel
- Restaurants in De Kwakel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in De Kwakel
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to De Kwakel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in De Kwakel
Photos in De KwakelSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 538 reviews, 1644 photos, 34 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 186 reviews, 486 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues