"DEVENTER- Koekstad" Top 5 Page for this destination Deventer by pieter_jan_v
Deventer Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 346 photos
The ealiest Deventer archive entry dates from 806, mentioning a small settlement along the IJssel river.
Next piece of history is that pf the monk Lebuinus. He rowed over to the village and builded a wooden church at the location of the present impressive Lebuinuskerk. He brought some English influences to Deventer, one was main street, the present Menstraat.
Deventer is one of many Hanze cities. In the 14th and 15th century Deventer grew and became more and more prosperous. Six yearly markets were held, each lasting several days.
In 1477 printed Richard Paffraet the first books with the new printing technic. Nowadays the city has many book shops and the famous yearly book market with almost 1000 stalls along the river.
Another main event are the Dickens street performances in mid-December.
Deventer is also famous for its Deventer Koek. Of the 4 factories one remains and the Jb Bussink shop is at the Brink square.
Deventer can be easily travelled to via the A1 highway or by train (Amsterdam to Enschede Intercity or International train from Amsterdam to Berlin).
- Pros:Wonderful historical city
- In a nutshell:Cookies, books and the IJssel river
Are you looking for some special food from the North like Danish smørrebrød, Finnish blueberries or Swedish Kanelbullar?... more travel advice
I had some great herring at the Deventer street market. The fish was prepared right in front of me and you can add... more travel advice
- See All More Deventer Train Station
- See All The new Deventer Hospital
- See All Support the street artist
- See All Rutger Jan Schimmelpenninck
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Deventer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DEVENTER- Koekstad"
- "Bonio's short visit to Deventer"
- "Walk in downtown 1."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deventer
- Hotels in Deventer
- Transportation in Deventer
- Nightlife in Deventer
- Restaurants in Deventer
- Shopping in Deventer
- Warnings and Dangers in Deventer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deventer
- 75 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Deventer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deventer
Photos in DeventerSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 547 reviews, 1681 photos, 36 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 191 reviews, 501 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 466 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues