"Nehalennia" Top 5 Page for this destination Domburg by pieter_jan_v
Domburg Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 95 photos
The first settlement in the Domburg areas probably was a Roman one; remains of the Nehalennia temple were found in the 17th century after been burried by the dunes for centuries.
Dormburg got is name as it was built as a "Duinburcht", a round fortification in the dunes in the 9th century.
In the church records the name Dumburgh is mentioned in a document from 1200. The settlement grew bigger and in the 13th century it was split into Dumburgh infra castellum and Dumburgh extra castellum; a part inside the walls and a part outside. Each part had its own church.
In 1223 Domburg got city rights, but stayed small without any real power.
In the 17th and 18th century Domburg was used by locals from nearby cities to build their summerhouses.
In 1834 sea bathing was started as a business at the Domburg beach and after the construction of the "Badpaviljoen" in 1837 and the "Badhotel" in 1866 the bathing business increased. Bathing first were limited to the rich and famous, but in 1870 the railroad to Vlissingen opened and created an opportunity to travel to more people.
Nowadays Domburg is still small and compact and property prices are skyhigh. Still this small towns attracts many tourists.
- Pros:Unique Northern beach sheltered from the average wind
- Cons:Cramped streets during high season
- In a nutshell:Hollands oldest bathing village
The Domburg beach has designated sections for different kind of sports. You can swim in the sea, play beach volleyball,... more travel advice
The first Badpaviljoen (Bading facility) was constructed in 1837 designed by architecht G.H. Grauss. In 1889 it was... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Domburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Popular for beach and family holidays"
- "Domburg a quiet little town at the North Sea"
- "Domburg is great for a beach holiday"
- "Dinner in Domburg"
- "Domburg, most beautiful beach of the Netherlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Domburg
- Hotels in Domburg
- Transportation in Domburg
- Restaurants in Domburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Domburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Domburg
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Domburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Domburg
Photos in DomburgSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 418 reviews, 1255 photos, 26 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 511 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 138 reviews, 337 photos, 9 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues