"Wooden houses at the dike" Durgerdam by pieter_jan_v
Durgerdam Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 51 photos
The dike is the reason Durgerdam exists.
In 1421 the big St Elisabeth flood caused a lot of damage to the low countries and swallowed the village of IJdoorn. In 1422 the construction of a dike was started to protect the Waterland area from the Zuiderzee.
In the bend of the dike the village of Ydoornickerdam was build, later called Durgerdam.
The Durgerdammers were fishermen and tradesmen.
In 1932 the Aflsuitdijk turned the Zuiderzee into the IJsselmeer and Durgerdam became a sleeping village with some tourism.
- Pros:Many original wooden houses
- Cons:Not suited for a fast visit
- In a nutshell:Hidden gem to be explored by bicycle
Besides birds there are many characteristic plants, flowers and trees to see. The green sides of the dike may differ as... more travel advice
The dike along the IJsselmeer is ideal to travel by bicycle. A bicycle path is constructed on top of the dike and gives... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Durgerdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Is this truely Amsterdam???"
- "Wooden houses at the dike"
- "A cute village just outside Amsterdam"
- "Durgerdam, IJsselmeer village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durgerdam
- Restaurants in Durgerdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Durgerdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durgerdam
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Durgerdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durgerdam
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1951 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 620 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 199 reviews, 540 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 533 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues