"ENSCHEDE" Top 5 Page for this destination Enschede by pieter_jan_v
Enschede Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 306 photos
Enschede is a city close to the German border and its name probably came from "An die Schede" (on the border).
Enschede's history dates back to the early Middle Ages, when it was a settlement of farmers around a small castle.
In 1325 the Enschede city rights were approved by the bishop Jan III van Diest from Utrecht.
The city grew with a second canal around the city and a wooden outer fence.
In the 16th century the city was captured by people from Gelre, but was attacted by local forces of the bishop of Oldenzaal. The battles ended when the troops of prince Maurits took control over the city in 1597.
Through the ages three major city fires happened, destroying many of the wooden houses.
In the 18th centry the textile industry started and boomed after 1830. Even today the family names of the company owners like Van Heek, Ter Kuile, Jannink, Blijdenstein and Menko are linked to the city.
In world War II the city was mistakingly bombed twice by allied forces.
One of the big developments after the war was the grounding of the Technical University of Twente.
In 2007 Enschede had over 150.000 inhabitants.
In the center of Enschede signs will show you your way.
- Pros:Old market, many bars, big parking garage
- Cons:Overflooded by Germans at times
- In a nutshell:Technical students, Germans and local Twents
FEBO is a well known chain of fast food snack bars. A standard part is the "Automatiek", a kind of window shopping for... more travel advice
GranCafé La Berry’s is one of several pubs around the old market square in the old center of Enschede. La Berry's serves... more travel advice
- See All Exclusive personal care products
- See All The Circus Express
- See All Buurtkamer De Vleeschhouwerij
- See All Modern Art
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Enschede Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown Enschede and my travelwishes...."
- "Lots of fun in Enschede!"
- "Excellent Eanske"
- "Enschede...a very beautiful town"
- "A flying visit"
- "JUDO TEAM - 4 COUNTRY MEETING"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Enschede
- Hotels in Enschede
- Transportation in Enschede
- Nightlife in Enschede
- Restaurants in Enschede
- Shopping in Enschede
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Enschede
- 116 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Enschede?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Enschede
Photos in EnschedeSee All Photos (248)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1512 photos, 29 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 157 reviews, 417 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues