"Ferwerd" Ferwert by pieter_jan_v
Ferwert Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 34 photos
Ferwert was a central point in the aerea for ages. Two hills (terpen) protected the pepople from the occasional high sea waters. History tells that the former cloister of the island of Ameland was moved to Ferwert in the 12th century due to attacks by the Vikings. Ferwert was one of the first villages to build a Roman Catholic church.
South of the village were common meadow grounds.
Ferwert was a stop on the main road from Leeuwarden to Dokkum.
Ferwert has a small center; it's great to walk around and explore the alleys.
- Pros:Close to the Sea
- Cons:Far from it all
- In a nutshell:Genuine Frisian village
Just walk through this small village and you will encounter some real Frisian gems. more travel advice
Ferwert is one of the places on the Dutch Friese Wadpaad cycling route. more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Ferwert Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ferwert
- Transportation in Ferwert
- Restaurants in Ferwert
- Warnings and Dangers in Ferwert
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ferwert
- 10 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Ferwert?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ferwert
Photos in FerwertSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 547 reviews, 1681 photos, 36 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 191 reviews, 501 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 466 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues