"ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN" Groningen by pieter_jan_v
Groningen Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,118 photos
Er gaat niets boven Groningen is the real promotion slogan of this town, often changed into "Er is nothing boven Groningen". The first meaning "There's nothing superior over Groningen" and the second "There's nothing North of Groningen".
Groningen is about 1000 years old. It was started as a farmer's village on one of the high points of the "Hondsrug". Through the ages it became bigger and was transformed into a fortified city.
One of the most rememberable historical facts is The Siege of Groningen by Bommen Berend, the army of the bishop of Munster in 1672. Groninghen won the batlle and guaranteeded a free Holland.
From around 1870 the fortifications were broken down and Groningen really expanded. The railway brought Groningen a fast connection with the rest of The Netherlands. New city quarters and water ways were made.
Since 1614 Gringen has a University, that nowadays 20.000 students attend.
- Pros:Nice people, nice shops
- Cons:Crowded in the weekends
- In a nutshell:Northern Beauty
The Nieuwsblad van het Noorden was the local Newspaper and was housed in this beautiful building. Great... more travel advice
Groningen is part of the Pieterpad hiking trail going from the North to the South in The Netherlands. On several... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Groningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Groningen, a city I love!"
- "Groningen above all."
- "One of the world’s leading bicycle cities"
- "Citizens of Groningen are more courteous"
- "Groningen, real city life"
- "In the old days"
- "ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groningen
- Hotels in Groningen
- Transportation in Groningen
- Nightlife in Groningen
- Restaurants in Groningen
- Shopping in Groningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Groningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Groningen
- 27 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 45 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Groningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groningen
Photos in GroningenSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 535 reviews, 1623 photos, 31 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 172 reviews, 455 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 462 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues