"ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN" Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen by pieter_jan_v
Groningen Travel Guide: 433 reviews and 1,074 photos
Er gaat niets boven Groningen is the real promotion slogan of this town, often changed into "Er is nothing boven Groningen". The first meaning "There's nothing superior over Groningen" and the second "There's nothing North of Groningen".
Groningen is about 1000 years old. It was started as a farmer's village on one of the high points of the "Hondsrug". Through the ages it became bigger and was transformed into a fortified city.
One of the most rememberable historical facts is The Siege of Groningen by Bommen Berend, the army of the bishop of Munster in 1672. Groninghen won the batlle and guaranteeded a free Holland.
From around 1870 the fortifications were broken down and Groningen really expanded. The railway brought Groningen a fast connection with the rest of The Netherlands. New city quarters and water ways were made.
Since 1614 Gringen has a University, that nowadays 20.000 students attend.
- Pros:Nice people, nice shops
- Cons:Crowded in the weekends
- In a nutshell:Northern Beauty
The Nieuwsblad van het Noorden was the local Newspaper and was housed in this beautiful building. Great... more travel advice
Groningen is part of the Pieterpad hiking trail going from the North to the South in The Netherlands. On several... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Groningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Groningen, a city I love!"
- "Groningen above all."
- "One of the world’s leading bicycle cities"
- "Citizens of Groningen are more courteous"
- "ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN"
- "In the old days"
- "VT-meeting I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groningen
- Hotels in Groningen
- Transportation in Groningen
- Nightlife in Groningen
- Restaurants in Groningen
- Shopping in Groningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Groningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Groningen
- 27 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 43 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Groningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groningen
Photos in GroningenSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 512 reviews, 1558 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 159 reviews, 423 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues