"ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN" Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen by pieter_jan_v

Groningen Travel Guide: 433 reviews and 1,074 photos

City of students, bicycles and Groningers

Er gaat niets boven Groningen is the real promotion slogan of this town, often changed into "Er is nothing boven Groningen". The first meaning "There's nothing superior over Groningen" and the second "There's nothing North of Groningen".

Groningen is about 1000 years old. It was started as a farmer's village on one of the high points of the "Hondsrug". Through the ages it became bigger and was transformed into a fortified city.

One of the most rememberable historical facts is The Siege of Groningen by Bommen Berend, the army of the bishop of Munster in 1672. Groninghen won the batlle and guaranteeded a free Holland.

From around 1870 the fortifications were broken down and Groningen really expanded. The railway brought Groningen a fast connection with the rest of The Netherlands. New city quarters and water ways were made.

Since 1614 Gringen has a University, that nowadays 20.000 students attend.

• Pros:Nice people, nice shops
  • Cons:Crowded in the weekends
  • In a nutshell:Northern Beauty
  • Last visit to Groningen: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 25, 2003

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Hi PJ, I see that you have made lots of updates to your Groningen page since I last looked at it in 2009. In the meantime I have visited Groningen and now I have finally made a Groningen page of my own here in VT. I’d be grateful if you could have a look at my new Groningen tips sometime and tell me if I have made any silly mistakes.
    I enjoyed seeing you again at the VT meetings in Antwerp.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I like the idea of the Pieterpad! Next year I hope to visit Groningen because it is said to have the highest percentage of bicycle traffic of any city in the world, even higher than Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Münster, etc.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2008 at 6:16 PM

interesting architecture in a town i had never heard of. and any town with a martini tower is fine with me. and having visited your hengelo page as well - you guys certainly eat well. n.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Groningen is the city where I studied and lived for 5 years. Nice page!!!

• peaceness98's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 5:35 AM

Surfed here from your response to my question on the forum (thanks) - YUM, i can't wait to get my hand on those candy things :))

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 1:36 PM

Beautiful pictures, I really like the architecture here! I would love to see more of your country someday.

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2004 at 1:19 PM

great page on a beautiful city!

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2004 at 6:43 AM

OMG, only now I discovered your travelogues, and must admit that without masks I look much better ;-)

• nighthawk's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2004 at 1:32 PM

haha finally pics of the meet!! so i m hindered by nothing eh .... *pokes pj in his arm* huh huh?? thanks...i had a ball ! love yr pics btw ...

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2003 at 12:30 PM

Just yesterday we came to Groningen with the Q-liner. And of course we went to the Folkingestraat for shopping. Fantastic pictures of the VT-meeting !!

pieter_jan_v

“Are you ready boots? Start Walking (from These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra)”

Badges & Stats in Groningen

Have you been to Groningen?

Latest Activity in Groningen