Hengelo Sports & Outdoors Tips by pieter_jan_v
Hengelo Sports & Outdoors: 4 reviews and 16 photos
Tuindorpbad - Hengelo
Visit the Tuindorp natural swimming pool, that opened in 1923.
It's open during the summer season (without any extra heating!).
The small lake was created by sand excavation, used for the construction of the Tuindorp suburb in the 1920s.
Address: Vijverlaan 65 - 7553 CD Hengelo Ov
Directions: Enter Hengelo from the West from the A35 highway over the Haaksbergerstraat. Take a right at the first street after the traffic lights after crossing the Twente canal.
Theme: Beach Activities
Avondvierdaagse - Hengelo
Each year around the last week of May of 4 or first week of June an evening walking event called the Avondvierdaagse takes place. Walking distances are 5, 10 and 15 km, each from a different location at one of Hengelo's suburbs.
It always is a happy bunch of walkers with many elementary school participants.
Equipment: Walking shoes and some money to buy refreshments at the stop locations.
Cycle information at Hengelo
Hengelo is cycle network point #97 in the cycle-network of the province of Overijssel.
The information sign is place opposite the Lambertus church, the basilic in midtown.
You can create your own cycling journey through the Hengelo surroundings and if you are an experienced well traind cyclist hop over to other network points.
Twente cycle routes
Start of the 100 meters running
Each year at the end of May the FBK (Fanny Blankers-Koen) games are held in the Stadion with same name.
She is most famous for winning four gold medals at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London. At that time, she was already a mother of two, which was unheard of at a time where female athletes were still frowned upon by many. It earned her the nickname "The Flying Housewife".
Having started competing in athletics in 1935, she took part in the 1936 Summer Olympics a year later. Although international competition was hampered by World War II, Blankers-Koen set several world records during that period, in events as diverse as the long jump, the high jump, sprint and hurdling events.
Apart from her four Olympic titles, she won five European titles, 58 Dutch championships and set or tied 12 world records. She retired from athletics in 1955, after which she became leader of the Dutch female track and field team. In 1999, she was voted "Female Athlete of the Century" by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
Address: Kuipersdijk - Hengelo
Directions: SE of City Center
Theme: Sports Watching
More Reviews (197)
- See All Çeşme
- See All Nooit Vergeten (Never Forgotten)
- See All Enschedesestraat reconstructed
- See All Sports
- See All Pavilion in the park
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Hengelo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HENGELO, the place where I live."
- "Where I Did Have To Change Trains"
- "Home Guard"
- "my relation to the town of Hengelo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hengelo
- Hotels in Hengelo
- Transportation in Hengelo
- Nightlife in Hengelo
- Restaurants in Hengelo
- Shopping in Hengelo
- Warnings and Dangers in Hengelo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hengelo
- 201 Reviews
- 548 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (292)
Have you been to Hengelo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hengelo
Photos in HengeloSee All Photos (548)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1956 photos, 38 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 633 photos, 23 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 622 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 201 reviews, 549 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 470 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues