"The heart of Dutch Radio & Television" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilversum by pieter_jan_v
Hilversum Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 105 photos
The reason why I come to the town of Hilversum is R A D I O. At the end of the sixties I became a big fan of Radio Veronica, a commercial station broadcasting on AM from the vessel Nerderney on the Nothsea outside the territorial borders of The Netherlands. From mid 1970 I was a huge fan of the "Adje Bouman Top Tien" radioprogram and later became the co-founder of Adje's Fanclub (the ABF). In 1974 the government made it illegal to support transmissions from sea and Veronica stopped its transmissions. From there it was a long battle to become the legal Broadcast Society, the VOO. However the old Veronica radio feeling is still alive. After a short testperiod at 1224 kHz, the old guys set up Radio 192, which was trying to get a FM frequency. This lasted until August 2004, when Radio 192 ran out of money and stopped their presented programs.
Three new stations emerged:
- Laser Radio
- Veronica 192
- Radio Mi-Amigo 192
- Extra Gold
But you also can hear the former DJ's at stations like:
- Radio Nunspeet
- MDM Time
Next to revival of the sixties radio, 2 more stations were setup. Radio538 is a modern radio station and the more recent Radio Veronica is an 80s-90s station.
The Norderney association once more organised a reunion of the former Radio Veronica staff at the end of August 2004. Like 5 years before on 1224, now the 828 kHz was available for 2 weeks of "old fashioned" radio broadcasts, again from the makeshift studio at Hotel Lapershoek, the former Radio Veronica headquarter.
have a look at the pictures
<- Picture by H. ten Brink
- Pros:So much good music
- Cons:It's radio and televison only
- In a nutshell:Hillywood
Hilversum still is the heart of the Dutch National radio, although nowadays there are many local stations spread all... more travel advice
The Tolerance statue is made in 1989 by sculptor Edo van Tetterode. It is located at the Station square. more travel advice
Written Dec 14, 2012
Written Jun 25, 2015
Hilversum reflected on record covers
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Hilversum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hilversum - in the middle of the Netherlands"
- "Hilversum Page"
- "The heart of Dutch Radio & Television"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hilversum
- Hotels in Hilversum
- Transportation in Hilversum
- Restaurants in Hilversum
- Shopping in Hilversum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hilversum
- 18 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Hilversum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hilversum
Photos in HilversumSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1951 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 620 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 199 reviews, 540 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 533 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues